Creek Chub food ?

Discussion in 'LOCAL OHIO TALK' started by Desode, Sep 4, 2008.

1. Desode

Desode New Member

State:
    Ohio
    Hey guys, I posted this else where on here too but I'm going to post it here also becasue my ohio Boc guys are on it when you ask for advice on something. I have put together a small creek chub tank and I was wondering what do you feed smaller chubs in the 3 to 5 inch range and how often do I need to feed them to keep them happy ? I know I can feed bigger chubs small feeder fish, but I can't get small enough feeder fish for the little guys. I was also wondering how many do you think I can keep in a 10 gallon tank with a filter and air pump running.

Thanks for you time, consideration and advice, Matt AKA DESODE

2. Desode

Desode New Member

State:
    Ohio
    Heres a little pic of the setup. Matt, AKA DESODE

Attached Files:

3. hunted

hunted New Member

State:
    washington court house,oh
    i would try and feed them fish food.as long as they get hungry,they should eat it.as long as the filter does its job,you should be able to fit quite a bit in there comfortably.

4. seahaggy

seahaggy New Member

State:
    kentucky
    It may take a few days but they will eat fish pond flakes.Be carefull how much you feed filters will get dirty just from the waste.I have a 125 gallon stock tank i use.I use a swimming pool pump to circulate the water.I hook a garden hose to bottom of tank and attach to inlet side of pump attach garden hose to outlet and hook it to a water pipe i rigged up to be 3' higher than the top of my tank.On the end of the outlet pipe i put a 90 degree elbow than a 2' piece of pipe than another 90.I hang an industry type cloth filter (breath filter) and let the water flow through this and back into the stock tank splashing and making plenty of bubbles due to the height of the pipe.These socks can be washed and reused over and over.It will filter all of the stock tank and keep the water crystall clear.Will keep dozens of Creek Chubs and Minnows alive all summer.{ KEEP STOCK TANK IN SHADY SPOT OUT OF SUNLIGHT TO PREVENT ALGAE GROWTH AND KEEP WATER COOLER ALSO.

5. thegavel

thegavel New Member

State:
    West Des Moines, Iowa
    I have been using pond pellets to feed mine, however, you can pinch off night crawler pieces as well...

6. Desode

Desode New Member

State:
    Ohio
    So how often should I feed them ? I know what you mean about the more often you feed them the more dirty the water and more work for the filter. So what once or twice a week ? or less then that ?
    Thanks , Matt

7. Catmanblues

Catmanblues New Member

State:
    S.E Ohio
    Very nice setups. Just about any small bait you can think of is good for feeding them. A good filter is a must.

8. kmcalester

kmcalester Active Member

State:
    Kansas City
    This is nice info to have.

9. smokey869

smokey869 New Member

State:
    frederickt
    i keep a small tank with 10-20 small chubs at a time, i dump in a few dozen wax worms and a few crawlers every 2-3 days they never seem starved but i only usually keep them for a week or so before using them up i normally get bait right before fishing and if doing well at end of night may save them for the next weekend is all, hope this helps

10. wolfman

wolfman Well-Known Member

State:
    Triadelphia, WV
    Name:
    Walter Flack
    corn out of the can works good to catch them on, give it a try.

11. seahaggy

seahaggy New Member

State:
    kentucky
    I run my setup just like an aquarium and feed everyday just once though.I like to feed an hour or so before dark and it will be a feeding frenzy once they catch on.

12. 72hdflh

72hdflh New Member

State:
    West Salem, Ohio
    Floating pond pellets, and probably most any thing else as well. They seem to have a voracious appetite.