Creek channel in lakes

Discussion in 'LOCAL INDIANA TALK' started by bank bouncer, Apr 14, 2007.

1. bank bouncer

bank bouncer New Member

State:
    INDIANA
    Just spent this week talking about creek channels with 5 others. Couple of them are convinced that the creek somewhat maintains its flow and a defined channel thoughout the lake, all the way to the dam. The lakes mainly talked about was Raccoon and Cataract. What do you guys think.

2. river scum

river scum New Member

State:
    hooterville indiana
    thats a good question brother. i can only speculate on this because the reservoir that i fish(cedarville) is much smaller than those two. i would think the larger the body of water, and more "lake like", the less likely the channel would perform as such. in my res. it does flow all the way to the dam. the layout of the bottom has alot to do with this though. cedarville is mainly a channel with expansive 1-4ft. flats and bays. looking at the maps of both reservoirs you mentioned, i would say its very posible the creek channel would have a fair amount of flow. this would especially be the case in a time of draw down as in before an expected heavy rain. when this happens the fish will feed heavily.

thats my opinion on the matter. if you really want to find out fill a 2 liter bottle with water and lower it down while at anchor. that should tell you the extent of the current.

3. SkiMax

SkiMax Well-Known Member

State:
    Rising Sun, IN
    I would say that the creek channel does have flow when they are letting the lakes down. but if the lake is at summer pool and there is no water (or very little) being let out of the dam then there probably isn't much flow, but that's my guess

4. typer181

typer181 Well-Known Member Supporting Member

State:
    Indy
    Name:
    Eric
    When the water is high in Eagle Creek it flows, but the current doesn't always follow the original channel. When the water is at pool level there is no flow untill you get way up into the creek channel. I've seen the channel flowing the wrong direction when the wind is just right and the dam is shut.

5. Big Eli

Big Eli New Member

State:
    Ohio, Clifton
    I have studyed overhead photos of the lake I fish (CJ Brown, Ohio) and you can see the channel and flats very clearly. Even if there is slow to no flow the cats will still use this channel as a natural highway!!!

Understand seeing the channel in the photos is only possible in lower water levels and during certan times of the year.

Use the photos, maps and your depth finder to locate them then back off to casting distance and thro into and around it and you to will become a believer!!!!!!!!!

"Big Eli"

6. bank bouncer

bank bouncer New Member

State:
    INDIANA
    What you guys are saying is understandable, but these guys say even the cold creek water doesn't even blend with the warmer lake water almost throughout the path to the dam. I just don't think this is possible with the curves that these lakes make. I will be studying this though.