Creek Catfish

Discussion in 'Channel Catfish' started by JMarrs328, Oct 7, 2006.

1. JMarrs328

JMarrs328 New Member

State:
    York/Harrisburg, PA
    There is a good creek near my house that has some good sized catfish in it. What are the best baits/areas to fish in a creek for cats???

2. kat in the hat

kat in the hat New Member

State:
    Missouri
    Worms, minnows, perch, liver. Try a variety and see what they like. Small fish from that creek will probably work best.

3. Pastor E

Pastor E New Member

State:
    Beebe AR
    I agree they like natural food the best

4. JMarrs328

JMarrs328 New Member

State:
    York/Harrisburg, PA
    do u think minnows would work? I've fished in the creek for walleye and smallmouth with jigs tipped w/ a minnow from the creek. about 3 months ago, when the walleye action was hot, i hooked and nearly landed a flathead that would've easily gone 15lbs. on a jig tipped minnow. it was a great fight on an ultra light w/ 4lb test that's for sure!!!

5. savage308

savage308 New Member

State:
    Victoria, Texas
    Can't go wrong with worms... perch... and whatever baitfish are natural in the creek.... Good luck and keep us updated....

6. treddinwater

treddinwater Active Member

State:
    Indianapolis, Indiana
    I catfish a small creek that's at average 30 feet wide and 4-5 ft. deep, it's best for smallmouths, but during transition seasons (spring and fall) the catfishing can be quite interesting. My best success has come with using small creek chubs, about 3-4" big. Go out there with the smallest hook u can find and and ultralight and use the skin from the outside of a hot dog in little chunks to catch the small creek chubs, small shiners will hit the same rig. Other then the small creek chubs, or any "big" minnow, big crawdads, helgramites, and small sunfish will work on small creeks.

7. matt_k_a

matt_k_a New Member

State:
    texas
    I have a good sunfish population in my creek so I use them as cutbait
    whatever baitfish you have a good population of thats what you should use

8. catman849

catman849 New Member

State:
    Alabama
    I agree live bait of any kind from the same creek should suffice. Depending on the depth you could try difting live baits into the current using a bobber if the creek is fairly shallow. If the creek reaches a depth of more then 6-8 ft i would try using a rig with a barrel swivle tied to the main line, about 16" of leader tied to an egg sinker to sit on the bottom, and then about 8-10" of line with a kahle hook. This rig should be used for nonlive bait, it will sit on the bottom and let the bait flow in the direction of the current to attract fish from down stream. Hope this helps, good luck fishin.

9. catman529

catman529 New Member

State:
    Tennessee
    yeah I fish a creek year round and at least 3 times a week during summer. Get a cast net and catch bait in the shallow fast-current areas. Use them any way!

10. Stumpknocker2

Stumpknocker2 New Member

State:
    NW FL
    I used to fish a creek near where I used to live, I found the cats mostly in current and in a bend on the outer side of the bend is where the deep water is. They always seem to just load the rod up, I would use cut bait, cut blue gill.

11. shortbus

shortbus New Member

State:
    indiana
    Small creeks are fun to fish and you can gain a TON of knowledge from them. I would say location is more important than what bait to use in a small creek. Basically a creek is a small river, there will be shallows and holes,logjams and cutbanks. Most fish in a creek hang out in deeper water and cover. The way the bank is shaped can tell you alot about how deep the water is, along with what kind of bottom there is. Say you find a sharp bend in the creek with a steep bank and mud bottom. That bend is going to be deeper than a striaght run with gravel bottom. Any logjam thats in relatively deep water is going to be a good spot. If you have a shallow area with gravel bottom and the water is running strong over it and hits a mud bottom, then the current washes out the mud and makes a hole. Look for places like this and you will catch fish. Any kind of change in depth or any place a fish can hide is a good spot. Learn the patterns on that creek and you can dirrectly apply them to a river.
    For bait I would realy think about the size of fish you think are in the creek and size the bait to the fish you wanna catch. Start with small bait and work your way up to larger baits. A big cat can eat small baits if it wants but a small eater size channel can't eat a 2# carp. If your after flatty's like the one you caught try catching some chubs or sunfish from the creek and use them. Good luck man and let use know how it goes!!

12. matt_k_a

matt_k_a New Member

State:
    texas
    hit the places with deep undercuts & above & below riffles

13. catman529

catman529 New Member

State:
    Tennessee
    Also, find bends or deep holes in the creek. Fish the deepest spots when cold, especially after rain. During summer they can be more shallow.