credit card company calls

Discussion in 'General Conversation' started by FS Driver, Oct 30, 2007.

1. FS Driver

FS Driver New Member

State:
    swansea,illinoi
    this has happened a couple times recently
    i get a credit card company calling in the evening and when i answer they ask for my wife by her name . i replied that she wasn't here right now ,could i take a message ?
    they come back with no they would just call back .
    i pretty much got hung up on after trying to press the issue of what the call was about . has this happened to any of you ?
    it aggrivates me to think that if something god forbid happened to my wife
    i am pretty sure they would be wanting to talk to me then as i assume i am responsible for her debt , correct?
    what should i do about a call that comes down to this situation in the future?
    or am i stupid for not haveing my name on her card that she has had either A. before i met her or
    B. she has applied for without my approval ?

2. Ketch

Ketch New Member

State:
    Minnesota
    No, you aren't liable for her cards if your name isn't on it.

3. Ketch

Ketch New Member

State:
    Minnesota
    This part says that in the event of a spouse's death, unless you were liable, you don't become liable. But her estate may be.

4. tofish

tofish New Member

State:
    arizona
    my understanding is that it's illigall for them to call and bug at home to begin with. but i could be wrong. do you have caller ID? can you get number they are calling from? can you call them back? last question is, have you asked your wife if she knows why they are calling and asking for her by name?
    doesn't sound kosher to me at least.
    gary

5. laidbck111

laidbck111 New Member

They are not allowed to share any information with you even though you are her spouse unless you are on the account. Are thats how it is for my American Express and Discover. They were calling to get me to join their "account protection plan" but they did leave a call back number with my wife.

6. olefin

olefin New Member

State:
    Texas
    While back we started getting calls from a credit company about our daughter. Don't know how they got our number, it's unlisted, she never gave it to them and we live 650 miles apart in another state. But I suppose a paid search engine can do about anything. Anyway, we told them she didn't live here and that was her business, not to ever call again and hung up. They called back the next day, we didn't answer. I added their number to our phones call blocker and reported them to the Do Not Call Registry Complaint.

7. postbeetle

postbeetle New Member

State:
    Iowa
    Those kinds of calls were not infrequent to Nancy and I. Also including political crap, polls et. We now have cell phones. There only a few people who know our numbers. Now I never shut the computer off and the house line is always, always, always busy. Screws up their computer generated calls niceley and live people never get to talk to us. When the line was available to them, whoever answered the phone, if it was for the other person we would tell them who they wanted had just died in a bombing and to send flowers. Silence on the other end. Goodbye.

8. litltman

litltman New Member

State:
    ------
    when that problem started at my home. I called the phone company,for a couple bucks a month, they will give you a code number, you give it to your friends or who ever you want to call you. if they dont have the code number,they cant even make your phone ring. it works great.

9. olefin

olefin New Member

State:
    Texas
    We use a cable phone through our local cable company, all the little extras are included like free long distance, call blocking, call waiting, caller ID, etc.
    We never had any of that with Ma Bell land line phones. I've used call blocking several times.