Creating Unique Easter Eggs.....BEAUTIFUL!

Discussion in 'General Conversation' started by Catgirl, Mar 16, 2008.

1. Catgirl

Catgirl New Member

Meant to post this last week but let it slip my mind. We dyed our Easter eggs like this every year while I was growing up, and I've always been surprised by how few people have done it.

All you need is a plain ole dye kit, nothing fancy. In this case, even if it says COLD water you'll have to ignore that and use boiling water as was necessary in the past. Put each dye tablet in a mug, along with a teaspoon of cooking oil (or bacon grease works, that's what Gran used....bacon and eggs, haha :big_smile:). I'm not sure if the dye kits call for vinegar anymore, but if so add that also; then pour in your hot water.

When you dip your boiled eggs, the color will only stick to parts of them, making WONDERFUL designs automatically! They sort of resemble a map, or a puzzle perhaps. You may dip them in more than one color (let dry a minute in between) to achieve different effects.....sometimes changing the existing color spots, but also adding new ones in other areas. Don't dip them in TOO many colors though, or they'll end up as the ugly duckling; an unappealing brownish green tone. However, we always used the ugliest one as the "prize" egg! :wink:

Set them aside to drip dry for a few minutes, then polish with a soft cloth or paper towel to remove the excess slickness. Gives them a bit of a sheen as well, which is neat too!

Voila, lovely Easter eggs that make people ask "HOW did you DO that?!" :cool2:

Happy early Easter everybody! Have fun!!!

2. leupy

leupy New Member

State:
    Ohio
    I would like to see some photos, I will be coloring them Sat. with the grand kids.

3. Catgirl

Catgirl New Member

Hi Ron! First off, welcome to the BOC. We're glad to have you.

I am not dying any eggs this year, and the existing pictures of eggs we created in the past are with my mom/sister in the eastern part of NC. I doubt they would turn out very well after scanning before posting anyhow. :)smile2: I still haven't learned how to post picture attachments either!)

Not having children/grandchildren myself, Easter eggs aren't a normal part of springtime for me anymore; but my sister has done this with her children and many others, always with great results. It's fun for the kids to see the designs appear, you just have to be careful with especially small children because of the hot water. Good way to teach 'em about that though.

4. Coyote1

Coyote1 New Member

State:
    Missouri
    Dear Sister Tanya;
    Well Sis, that brings back some GOOD memories!:wink::0a27:
    And for me, a time when computers were still in the wildest Science Fiction movies!!
    I seem to remember Mom keeping the cups {they were copper I think} on the coils of our new electric stove to keep the water hot because that way the colors "took" faster and were a "deeper" color too, not some faint wash type. But that is stretching the old mind to a time long ago! After all, this was WAY BACK in the 20 th Century!!:smile2:
    At least you got it posted in time for everyone to get to the store and get the necessary supplies. Being raised on a farm, we did not have to buy our eggs! :big_smile:
    If memory serves, some of the eggs got color crayons used on them too in addition to water color paints too. Ohhhh you bring back memories of those long late Saturday nights! If only the things were that simple again in the World!
    THANK YOU for the post.:0a31:
    It brought back some good memories! :big_smile::big_smile_2:
    Fraternally,
    Coyote1
    [[[[[End of Post]]]]]

5. Coyote1

Coyote1 New Member

State:
    Missouri
    Dear Brother Leupy;
    Ron, :big_smile:Welcome to the BOC!!:big_smile:
    We are GLAD to have you among the rank and file.
    If you have any questions about how to get around the BOC website just remember to fill out a "Trouble Ticket" or post the question.
    You will find that our Brothers and Sisters are quite exuberant when it comes to answering questions and trying to help each other out and especially when it comes to helping out New Members!:big_smile:
    DON'T let all the answers and advice overwhelm you! And, don't be afraid to ask questions either. Having said that, if you see a questions where you have an answer, an idea, a suggestion, please don't be afraid to make a post either! That is what the BOC is all about is helping each other the best we can.
    There are NO Stupid questions on the BOC! Nobody knows everything which is why we share our information with each other so that each of us has a better chance of reaping the rewards!:big_smile:
    Be sure to make yourself available to our Library and Archives as there is much information contained within them. I believe you will find them very helpful, on a variety of subjects, in the future.
    You might also want to attend some of the many "gatherings" that are held in many places throughout the United States at various times of the year. This also includes the upcoming EXPO in March of 2009 and, at this time, the occasional National Gathering too.
    Again, "WELCOME ABOARD". I think you will find you have just made a life changing decision that will affect you in a number of positive ways in the days, weeks, and months, to come.
    Fraternally Yours,
    Coyote1
    [[[[[End of Post]]]]]

6. 223reload

223reload New Member

State:
    Oklahoma
    Welcome ,Ron. You'll find that this place is sorta like the local cafe . we talk about most anything. And if you have a question ,Someone allways is eager to help.

7. River Outlaw

River Outlaw New Member

State:
    Topeka, Kansas,
    Tanya, I told my friend's wife about your post so she had me print it so she could try it. The girl in the pic is Taylor, my "brother" Terry (Sledge Hammer on BOC) & his wife Tracy's daughter. Here a couple pics of some of the eggs your post helped create. Thank you for the great post. :big_smile:

8. Catgirl

Catgirl New Member

Awww, how nice! Thanks for posting J. I'm glad it worked well for 'em, we always had fun doin' it.

Makes me wanna go buy a dye kit :smile2:. (I can remember dying eggs before I ever saw dye tablets though; Gran used the l'il bottles of liquid food coloring. Think that's when I first learned which primary colors to combine to make other colors.)

Neat pictures, I appreciate those. Taylor sure looks proud of her eggs. :cool2:

9. JERMSQUIRM

JERMSQUIRM New Member

State:
    il-waynesv
    got two doz today. and 2 color kits. be trying it out tomorrow. i love easter. i get boiled eggs for days,lol. lil salt pepper.:wink:

10. Scott Daw

Scott Daw New Member

State:
    Allentown, Pennsylvania
    Now thats cool! Thanks, I'll have to give it a try.

11. MRR

MRR New Member

State:
    Louisiana,Mo.
    Thank You that sure did bring back child hood members. Just a few years ago:roll_eyes: Yeah right. Happy Easter

12. JERMSQUIRM

JERMSQUIRM New Member

State:
    il-waynesv
    well i got some good ones posting tuesday. my lil one whows 1yr b day is tues got his first easter egg session. he has blue green hands now,lol. ill post pics tues. my cam cord is shot and dont have an sd card slot. library does. he only needed one showing and he was dropping the eggs in all by himself.

and i mean dropping. he had dye all over the tray of his highchair and was smearing it all over and slapping it. had it on his face too.:smile2:

he made a funny face when he stuck one he pulled back out in his mouth. water oil and viniger,lol. made him get the shivvers.:smile2:

my oldest is holding up a good red one that resembles a globe. i need to check for the virgin marys image. i could make a cool fortune off ebay if i have one.

13. Memphis_Catfish_King

Memphis_Catfish_King New Member

State:
    Memphis,TN
  14. jim

jim New Member

State:
    Jacksonville NC
    Did the Easter Bunny bring you some Chocolate bunnies.Want some candy little girl (hehehehehehehe)?Dying the eggs always was a favorite part of Easter for me,besides you could take them fishing and creat quite a stir in the boat particualrly if combined with a little beer.:smile2::tounge_out:I didnt really go for the chocolate stuff so I would trade my rabbits etc to my sister for all her jellybeans and marshmellow eggs.One thing we always got was one fo the beautiful candy eggs with the galss window on one end with the Easter scene inside.SOme of them were true works of art and I guess they dont make them anymore.Jellybeans remain to this day as one of my favorite food groups!!!!!:big_smile::smile2:

15. JERMSQUIRM

JERMSQUIRM New Member

State:
    il-waynesv
    check these out. today is my lil boys 1st b-day. this was sun.

16. JERMSQUIRM

JERMSQUIRM New Member

State:
    il-waynesv
    here is my oldest eating green eggs and ham.:eek:oooh:

17. JERMSQUIRM

JERMSQUIRM New Member

State:
    il-waynesv
    catgirl. heres flat stanleys twin lol. this one is for you.

18. catfisherman_eky3

catfisherman_eky3 New Member

State:
    Kentucky
  19. Catgirl

Catgirl New Member

Bumping this back up in case someone else wants to try it in the next couple of days, and guess what?

I've decided to dye a few eggs myself this year. :wink:

They can sit around and look pretty for a couple days, and on Sunday be turned into deviled ones. :big_smile: