Creating Structure

Discussion in 'All Catfishing' started by catchaser1, Nov 27, 2006.

1. catchaser1

catchaser1 New Member

State:
    Anderson S.C.
    Do any of you all have any luck with sinking pipe, barrells, ect., for fish to hide in or just to create some structure. I was planning on sinking some 8" pipe cut into sections about 3 or 4 feet. Any better ideas, or will it even work?

2. StuBone278

StuBone278 New Member

State:
    south central Louisiana
    I'm not sure on structure for catfish, but I know you can take some quik-dry cement, put it in a bucket and stick a bunch of 1" pvc pipes about 2-3 feet long into the cement to make an artificial reef. The great thing about it is that there is very little chance of you getting caught up in it. White pvc for sacalait, and black for bass...I'm yet to try it, but that's the word I've heard.

3. catchaser1

catchaser1 New Member

State:
    Anderson S.C.
    does anyone have any luck sinking pipe, barrells, ect. for fish to hide in or just to create some structure, Whats the best method?

4. AwShucks

AwShucks New Member

State:
    Guthrie, Oklaho
    I would think you need to check with your local game wardens. In some states it is illegal to put anything in the water to attract the fish.

5. Pastor E

Pastor E New Member

State:
    Beebe AR
    Great Idea reps to you:big_smile:

6. CatfishHateMe

CatfishHateMe New Member

State:
    Il
    take a piece of pipe and put it in a 5 gallon bucket with cement and put it to where its visible from a boat in the water and paint it hunter orange. then every year after christmas time, talk to everyone and ask if they have real xmas trees. get all of the trees you can and put them down in that spot. works great, my grandpa does it in a little bluegill pond thats also got a huge flathead in it ive yet to catch:tounge_out:

7. catchaser1

catchaser1 New Member

State:
    Anderson S.C.
    the only problem with that is everybody else will see it and fish it and we dont want that:big_smile:

8. Flatheadhunter33

Flatheadhunter33 New Member

State:
    Yuma, Arizona
    My fishing partner and I were talking about sinking some Christmas trees after the holiday to see if they attract some flatties by next spring. I gotta check the warden's office first.

9. CatfishHateMe

CatfishHateMe New Member

State:
    Il
    well, im referring to a pond where me and a max of 3 other people fish on private property so i dont really have to worry about that:lol:

10. SpaceAce

SpaceAce New Member

State:
    w
  11. laidbck111

laidbck111 New Member

I know that at Jordan Lake the DNR makes stuctures out of plastic 50 gallon barrels cut in half and aluminiun bracing. If I can find the pic I will post it. As for me personally I snuck a few barrels into the creeks when I was a youngun and it attracted fish not always catfish but it did work

12. heavyduty

heavyduty New Member

State:
    Grand Gulf,MS
    I agree with Awshucks, You need to check your local laws before setting artificial structure out. right now i understand our local laws are banning any type of artificial structure, they can only be made of wood. No metal or plastic barrels, or any kind of non biodegradable materials.

13. Redtick

Redtick New Member

State:
    Neoga, Illinois
    A lot of crappie fishermen put out what is called a "crappie condo". They are 5 gallon buckets whith oak brush, pvc, or cane sticking out, then filled with concrete and then sunk at statigic places. They are much better than Christmas trees. They will attract catfish for the same reason they attract crappie.
    There is a lot of information at wwwdotcrappiedotcom's message board.
    Such structure may be illegal in some states but a lot of guys put them out and build their own "honeyhole".

14. GMC FishHauler

GMC FishHauler New Member

State:
    Waco, Texas, Un
    in a small lake where i was raised they use to sink old tires with concrete in them for breeding structure for their channel cat. Only prob is that it is easy to hang up on these.
    I like the idea of 8" pvc but u need a way to keep it stationary

15. spanishcatman

spanishcatman New Member

State:
    United Kingdom
    I have no idea if it's legal or not (and I'd hate to advise anyone to break any laws), but creating your own feature really works. Me and some mates dumped in a heap of boulders when the river was really low in the summer. We took some great fish of it the following spring when the water levels were back up.

Damn back hurt for a month after carting the rocks mind you :smile2:

16. AwShucks

AwShucks New Member

State:
    Guthrie, Oklaho
    Geez, if I caught what was in your pic, my back would hurt also. LOL

17. spanishcatman

spanishcatman New Member

State:
    United Kingdom
    Ha ha! :lol: That fish had a seriously bad attitude from the moment I stuck the hook in its mouth! We had to chase after it in the boat cos it ripped a lot of line off my reel. It was one that we had from the home-made rock pile as it happens. It wasn't the biggest but it was the best picture.

18. jimfurness

jimfurness New Member

When I was about 12 years old, my step Dad's pond was extremely low during a really dry summer. I drove about 10 stakes I made from trimmed elm brush into the mud. I then took some leftover chicken wire and hog pen wire and strung it about 2 feet above the mud with bailing wire. Until I went into the service at 17, the fishing was always fantastic near the wire. Also, in late summer I always collected a lot of bass lures from folks that had slithered in to fish without permission. I know that they didn't ask because my step Dad would always tell the ones that asked permission where the wire was and where to and not to cast. I still remember he welcomed all that ever asked. I went back in my late 20s and found the new owners of the farm had drained and filled the pond then planted Johnson grass for quail hunting.

After over 50 years of fishing, I'll always look for christmas tree structure for panfish. Also, as a teenaged sailor visiting Mississippi for a weekend, I jumped off a fishing pier when the bar closed and landed on a rusty sunken automobile roof. My right leg went completely through the roof. Fortunately for me, the cut on my leg was disinfected by the ethanol in my bloodstream. The lady fishing there that night said "you sure is messin up the catfishing"... She was probably right in her rapid assesment of the situation.

19. catman529

catman529 New Member

State:
    Tennessee
    Throw your Christmas tree in the water. It will attract small fish like bream. Then you could use it as a catfish attractor. I guess it would work, give it a try and let me know.

20. Baitkiller

Baitkiller New Member

State:
    Akron, Ohio
    Dang man ...what a cat!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

:003:

ps GPS