Creating structure to hold fish

Discussion in 'All Catfishing' started by zeboman, Mar 8, 2008.

1. zeboman

zeboman New Member

State:
    Pennsylvan
    I have heard of guys taking Christmas trees and putting them in lakes and rivers to make their on log jams to try and hold fish in the area. Anyone ever tried this?

2. CountryHart

CountryHart New Member

State:
    missouri
    I sink brush every year. I have to admit i never catfished around any of it but it sure is nice to drag a gig over bass fishing. If you have a gps mark them or note on your map where they are. Put out plenty cause folks find them.:wink:

3. CountryHart

CountryHart New Member

State:
    missouri
    Forgot, be sure and weight them down good. I use aluminum wire and concrete blocks. If ya have any cottonwood, it sinks really well.

4. Dano

Dano New Member

State:
    Texas
    I've never have created a log jam. many years ago I have sunk a tree or 2. I have moved some rocks around to create structure when water was at record low levels. I know of people who have sunk Christmas trees
    and they do hold fish. Mainly bait fish, Crappie, bream and cats do eat those kinds of fish.
    They did it in areas that was not on main lake. Personally I dont like sinking a bunch of stuff in the lakes. it holds fish but also holds hooks line and sinkers and sometimes comes loose and floats up to top. Depends on what it is and how you sink it. I prefer to fish natural structures.
    Some lakes , the Corps of Engineers they get all the old trees from stores after Christmas is over and they make a big under water structure in bout 40' of water, for different fishing areas. They mark it so all will know. And some have used old tires. Bolt them together side by side, add a little concrete or rocks and you got a home made log.

Be sure not to do it in a place that might cause boat or swimming problems and make sure its OK to do it on your lake. Some lakes dont allow it, and only if in a controlled area by them.