Creating my own catfish pond.

Discussion in 'All Catfishing' started by south_va_fisherman, Apr 24, 2007.

1. south_va_fisherman

south_va_fisherman New Member

State:
    Muddy Cross, Virginia
    I live on a farm and we have a small spring fed/ run off pond on the property. I checked numerous times and there are no fish in it. i figured it would be fun to have my own pond full of catfish just a short atv ride away. i drove down up to windsor va to check some prices on farm raised catfish and they were expense as $#%#%^. Thats when i got the idea of stocking the pond with fish i catch. In two trip i had 40, 1-2lb fish for my little pond. each one i put ina bucket of water from where it was caught and slowly mixed the water with pond water over the course of an hour. The fish adapted very well and have survived 2 weeks, which i take to mean they will be ok. i toss a coffee can of farm pond fish feed from southern states farmer supply(in town) every day. the fish will swim to the top and devour it. i fished it the other day and had a blast, plus i have fresh catfish for the table when ever i want. my little brother cauht his first catfish the there and wants me to drive him out every day now. new catfisherman on the way! :cool2:
    1st pic is my pond
    2nd pic is where the catfish come from

Attached Files:

2. photocat

photocat New Member

State:
    HOCO, Maryland
    Looks good... , one suggestion, just to keep the scum off the top... toss an old 30 gal drum in there... (no holes, just to float around...) It'll sit on the top of the water and keep the water circulating a slight bit w/ the wind and keep the algae on top from just covering the entire thing and making it "impossible" to fish...

3. ravenloft420

ravenloft420 New Member

State:
    mo
    ONE large male grass carp might help to if you can find one. but then again you might not want to take the chance of it being a pregnant female!!!!:crazy:

4. wiskeredwarrior101

wiskeredwarrior101 New Member

State:
    virginia
    I have a pond on my property and its just about that size but it only has bass and gills in it so i did the same thing and i plan on going back and fishing it in a few months and see how theyre doing. tell me how your works out looks good

5. blkhawkdwn

blkhawkdwn New Member

State:
    Clarksville, Tennessee
    you might want to get a small amount of chicken fencing and stretch it out across the area that the pond is being feed its water supply this will prevent the cats from excaping the pond. your local supply store should carry alge destroyer youcan use this as well to keep down the alge and keep a clear area to fish from. look in to adding some bluegills to the pond a good 30 or so will be good. the gills breed fast so they will be a good amount to last the cats through the summer and into the winter

6. south_va_fisherman

State:
    Muddy Cross, Virginia
    Im going this week end to the town pond to get some gills. i should be able to get around 50 or so in one day there. will that algae killer effect small fish?

7. CNTRYBOY

CNTRYBOY New Member

State:
    Benton, Ar
    Looks like your off to a good start. Hopefully one of these days I will have me a pond!!!

8. dreamer34

dreamer34 New Member

State:
    danville virginia
    now let's see....how far away are you from danville????lol

9. CJ21

CJ21 New Member

State:
    Montgomery, Alabama
    Nice looking pond.

10. THRowSOmeStink

THRowSOmeStink New Member

State:
    sedgwick, kansas
    Glad everything is going good. Have fun catching your fish

11. teaysvalleyguy

teaysvalleyguy New Member

State:
    GC, OHIO
    I would also suggest some Grass Carp (AKA White Amur)

Grandpa used to toss a few rolls of pennies in the pond, seemed to work. The copper in the pennies faught off algea.

If you are gonna have cat's you must stock with Minnows or Small Gills. They have to eat also. Flathead Minnows work great.

Good luck on the new pond.

12. south_va_fisherman

State:
    Muddy Cross, Virginia

got 3 minnow traps on a local creek as we speak. im going to check them tomorrow

13. teaysvalleyguy

teaysvalleyguy New Member

State:
    GC, OHIO
    Good luck buddy, hope the pond works out for ya.

Even if the cats dont work out then you could turn it into one heck of a bait pond.

14. SSgt Fishslayer

SSgt Fishslayer New Member

State:
    south carolina
    stock it with some gills too for sure. should turn out pretty well, for you. also might want to put a grass carp in it. will help with all of the junk on top

15. Whiskeyriver

Whiskeyriver New Member

State:
    WA
    I cant wait to get my own cat pond.

16. dusky

dusky Member

State:
    indiana
    Man that would be a blast. Looks like they won't go hungry for frogs.

17. bnorth

bnorth New Member

State:
    Indiana
    You'll be the envy of all your neighbors. Nice Pond.

18. los7883

los7883 New Member

State:
    Texas
    how are the cats holdin up?

19. Dadoftwo

Dadoftwo New Member

State:
    Oklahoma City
    Get a grass carp and stock with gills. You willl have a successul pond for raising cats before you know it. Good luck.