Creating Flathead Catfish Structure? - Is it possible

Discussion in 'Flathead Catfish' started by whampas_cat, Jan 31, 2006.

1. whampas_cat

whampas_cat New Member

State:
    Wharton Texas
    I heard of these people going out and sinking these big black plastic colvert that were closed off at one end. They were using them for noodling purposes. Flatheads would get in those big black pipes and claim them as there home. Do you think that you could take a section of water and do this same method to increase the flathead frequence or popultion of the area? I know some stretches of river you will cautch alot of flatheads and others you wont. I would like to know what everybody tinks about this. You know we inprove all kinds of other animals habitas such as foodplots for deer, cover for upland game birds. Why not help the flatheads out and inturn it should help the fisheries out.

2. Salmonid

Salmonid New Member

State:
    SW Ohio
    Whampus, I like the thought but you have to remember that in rivers, flathead and all species look for a very specific area to spawn in, the bottom, structures, current speed, have to be "just right" so if you do this, you need to do your homework first.
    Points to remember, rivers will silt it up, so it neds to be placed with open end downstream, in an eddy area. I would use concrete culverts whereever possible so they dont float downstream with current and floods, also know that dumping concrete into rivers is against the law, it requires a Army Corp of Engineers 404 permit. which takes years to aquire and are very expensive. ( because A certified Hydrologist must ok the plan)

Ok, an easier way to increase the types is with a chainsaw and a large spool of 1/2" cable, some heavy duty "c" clamps and pure sweat equity.
    In key areas of pools and eddys, take down large brushy trees and cable the butt ends to the bank so they wont float away. after time, they will attract more flotsom and other limbs and as the brushy parts of the trees get covered up in silt, it helps hold it in the current. These typically last for about 5 years before having to replace them. ( I have a lot of stream habitat work and research experience from 13 years of adding instream habitat on my local trout river through the work of our Trout Unlimited Chapter)

This approach can be done quickly but only requires land owner approval and most closely mimmicks mother natures approach, looks natural and will help all species, not just flatties.

Good luck,
    Salmonid

3. Salmonid

Salmonid New Member

State:
    SW Ohio
    I had a few more thoughts on this, For lakes the addition of the culverts would be easier and over time, you could drop1-2 in on a spawning area every time out. Iknow many folks who do this type of stuff for more then just catfish. Here you dont have to worry about current and directional placement or silt if its on a main lake area.

For rivers, in our area in the midwest, the best pools for flatties seems to be 1 of 3 situations, an old dam area with deep water and loads of old concrete in the water. An outside bend on a river that is loaded up with large rip rap or old concrete to protect the bank, or lastly, a long deep pool that has lots of big old trees submerged in it.
    With that in mind, I would add structure to an already known good spot to make spawning more succesful, adding structures to a unknown spawning area in a river will likely never get used. ( fish dont know its there)

Just a few more random thoughts on this, thanks for reading this far!
    Salmonid

4. chubbahead

chubbahead Member

State:
    Ohio
    I know of people who live on bigger lakes that due this for crappie and saugeye. One guy I have heard of added structure right in his backyard and now is a guide. When he takes people out, he just boats them right to his backyard and fishes. It seems like cheating. If you added something to a river, it better be heavy. If it doesn't get taken downstream in a flood, the current might just cover it up with silt.

5. SangamonCatKiller

SangamonCatKiller New Member

State:
    central illinois
    I like the idea of adding wooded cover to the river. Fortunately the beavers/mother nature did enough work this winter so I don't have to ! Very little snow,rain yet the river has been infested with new trees/stumps etc. I love it !

6. chubbahead

chubbahead Member

State:
    Ohio
    When I was around 13 or 14 years old, me and one of my friends tryed to dig out the creek running through his backyard. There was lots of bait in the creek, but you had to walk a half mile either way to get to it. We figured they would like our hole just as well. We never completed it though, it was a lot of work and a lot of heavy rocks half buried.

7. Salmonid

Salmonid New Member

State:
    SW Ohio
    Sangamon, if your smart, youll take those already downed trees and get some cable on them to secure them to the bank so the next flood doesnt take them downstream. Just my .02

This also protects the banks from erosion and tends to cut some depth under these trees right next to the bank providing undercuts which are heavily preferred by cats.

Salmonid

8. Sinker

Sinker New Member

State:
    Missouri
    Think ahead!! In my country, the banks are really sandy, and/or gravelly. Any time you divert the current, it can cause changes downstream. Making what might be a good deal can totally ruin existing holes downstream. That's my 2 pennies worth. Jim

9. pendog66

pendog66 New Member

State:
    Brookville OH
    i dont know about the created a new cover in the river. The rivers ecosystem is very touchy, wouldnt want to mess anything, but then again it would work if you thought it out and used natural stuff around you like downed trees and ex. But the way i see it, if the structure is meant to be there it will be and the fish will be also

10. stickthrower

stickthrower New Member

State:
    Possum Kingdom Lk, TX
    Before you get to carried away and invest lots of work and sweat you might check it out with the Dept Fish/Wildlife first to make sure it's legal in your area , otherwise you might get a "Stiff" fine. In lots of states it is illegal to dump anything in a waterway and the fines are outragious!:crying: Just don't want a BOC brother getting stuck with a fine!

Frank

11. dinkbuster1

dinkbuster1 New Member

State:
    Ohio
    this one "private lake" i used to fish had a few spots where the owners sank tons of old stoves and fridge's to creat blue and flat habitat. those areas were where all the biggins hung out. also there is a local gravel pit i used to fish where theives used to sink stolen cars in about 40ft of water. that spot was a crappie heaven for years, and we also caught a bunch of channels while crappie fishin. not tellin you to go steal cars and sink them but i'd bet they would have been havens for flats if they were in there! broke my heart when the police pulled all those cars out.....:cry-big:

12. pendog66

pendog66 New Member

State:
    Brookville OH
    yea i could see how a car could be a good crappy and catfish area, the only thing that would be better would be for you to swim down there and build a house for them.:p ;)

13. odominioncatter

odominioncatter Member

State:
    Elkin, NC
    I saw a video last year of some guys in OK handfishing on a very strong river and pulling blues out of a couple old cars sunken. talk about dangerous

14. pendog66

pendog66 New Member

State:
    Brookville OH
    yeah that does sound dangerous

15. oldman

oldman New Member

my son and i bolted 5 food grade plastic barrels with one end open together and sunk them near the bank in 25 ft of water by some willow trees. always catch big flats there. hook em horns

16. Baitkiller

Baitkiller New Member

State:
    Akron, Ohio
    YES but rivers flood and the currents can change everything in a few hours there!!

Most of the old lakes have very little normally and added stucture should draw them in. My guess base on alot of reading and what others that know a heck of alot more then me say 55 gal plastic drums are 2nd only to hollow logs. My guess is two decent Flatheads need more room then a 55 with only one end open. The States recycle thousands of the "Barrels from Hell" that could be used to better the mud bottom lakes :0a32: . As stated in the post on the movement of Flatheads they go from Stucture to Stucture and/or feeding areas.

My answer & opinion is YES, BIG TIME !!!!!!!!!!

17. Catcatcher26726

Catcatcher26726 New Member

State:
    wv
    I've thought about taking 55 gal plastic drums and cutting the top out of them and putt holes in the bottom for water to flow and anchor them in my secret spot.