Crazy Question...Maybe?

Discussion in 'Gateway Catfishing Club' started by Andy52, Oct 9, 2009.

1. Andy52

Andy52 Well-Known Member Supporting Member

State:
    Winfield, Mo.
    Has anyone here ever negotiated the "Chain of Rocks" in their boat? From what I've seen of it, I think it can be done. If it's not illegal and I won't get my butt in trouble I think I'm going to give it a try. Now remember y'all before you laugh to loud I have a Jet Boat.

2. Mrs Okie

Mrs Okie New Member

State:
    Okla/Illinois
    RiverRat runs it.

3. Andy52

State:
    Winfield, Mo.
    Thanks Mrs. Okie, I've run the rapids at the lower end of "Car of Commerce chute" by Pelican Island, and my thinking is that even durning low water the Chain of Rocks would be easier than that, in a Jet Boat.

4. FLOAT TRIP WILLIE

FLOAT TRIP WILLIE Active Member

State:
    St. Louis
    it can be done.... BUT, i wouldnt do it while its low...I do know its a small breaking point by the old light house.... just be careful a lot of ppl went over in a boat and got pull out downtown by the water patrol...

5. Mr Okie

Mr Okie New Member

State:
    Okla/Texas

Mark
    You can get Willie to ride with you so he can show you the "small breaking point by the old light house"....:crazy: :crazy: :crazy:

6. Andy52

State:
    Winfield, Mo.
    Willie is welcome to ride with me on the trip. Might be his first ride in a "Skinny water boat". From what I've see at the Chain of rocks, even durning low water the ride up wouldn't be a problem. Back down however, I'm not so sure about? In order for the boat to function properly, I have to be at planning speed, so going up at 20 or 25 you would just crest the top and keep going. Going down.....you might crest the top, and nose dive at the bottom.....:wink:

7. Andy52

State:
    Winfield, Mo.
    Scott... you can ride along to if you want.....:smile2::smile2::smile2::roll_eyes:

8. Seth

Seth Active Member

State:
    Owensville, MO
    If it aint sticking out of the water then I'll run it with my jet boat. I think you would be fine as long as you are up on plain.

9. stlcatman

stlcatman New Member

State:
    Imperial, MO
    Personally I wouldn't cross it unless the river guage was at least at 17'. I don't run a jet boat either but that water does some crazy things down there when the water gets low. I have been over the chain many times but don't see the need if it isn't absolutely safe. I would say if you aren't sure, use another ramp or lock through. Why risk it?

10. Andy52

State:
    Winfield, Mo.
    Because it's there Ryan, It's not the goal, but the challenge! Watch the swriling water and know where the boat needs to be, Sounds like fun to me! Want to ride along?

11. stlcatman

stlcatman New Member

State:
    Imperial, MO
    Thanks but I think I will sit that one out. I get plenty of pucker factor going over it when the water is up.:wink:

12. Andy52

State:
    Winfield, Mo.
    Come on Ryan, it might be fun. A little pucker would do you good. Just imagine blasting up those rapids and cresting the top! Oh Man, would that be fun?

13. Andy52

State:
    Winfield, Mo.
    Yeap Seth, that's the way it's done with a jet, hammer down, if you don't see it ......don't worry about it.....:smile2::smile2::smile2::crazy:

14. BEHITJ

BEHITJ New Member

State:
    Wentzville
    You can float over it but you might get some water over the front of your boat when it's low. Getting back up when it's low GOOD LUCK I wouldn't even consider it. The lowest you can go over with a prop is about 13 1/2 ft. and that's going down and back. When it's low it's about a 4ft. drop trust me I have done it and filled my boat with water. I locked back up that day. So if you want to take a chance of sinking your boat feel free but don't count on the coast guard to save you LOL!!!!!

15. Andy52

State:
    Winfield, Mo.
    Well, I made the run on the Chain of rock yesterday. launched at Columbia bottoms and motored down to the rocks. To say the least it is intimidating,and your right Ryan, there is a fare amount of pucker factor there...:crazy: I looked it over good before going down,decided that right next to the bank on the Missouri side was the best bet. Powered the boat up to plane and made the run about 50ft from the bank. Going back up was much easier, with the bow facing the chop. After all that we didn't catch one walleye.....go figure. Well the run on the rocks was fun at least.

16. BEHITJ

BEHITJ New Member

State:
    Wentzville
    That's a bad spot to go over:crazy: you wouldn't get across there if the water was lower there is a Sheet ton a rocks on that side and very shallow.

17. Andy52

State:
    Winfield, Mo.
    John, I'm not advocating that everyone should use the route over the rocks that I did Wednesday. The description in your post is correct, rocky and shallow, but there's only chop and no drop there, that makes it the best place to go over and back up in my boat. My boat will operate in water where a person would have to drag a canoe, so for me that is the best and safest place. I'll put in a short video of some people using the route I did, I can run water just as shallow as they can. :big_smile:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FTRq3LdItF0

18. Andy52

State:
    Winfield, Mo.
    bump