Crazy Night Whitetail Hunting!!!

Discussion in 'Bowhunting' started by catfishrollo, Nov 6, 2009.

1. catfishrollo

catfishrollo New Member

State:
    Ohio
    It started out arriving to a local farm to setup this evening to hunt a stand of mine. As I walked down a small road, I quickly learned the landowners were present, and running 4 wheelers, and cutting firewood close to where I was gonna hunt! Thats fine, because propertys are getting hard to find or get permission to hunt around here without leasing, so I headed back to the truck for a second plan! I headed to area B. My night turned into a ground hunt because I left my climber at home. I setup on a woodline tucked behind some trees on the edge of a cut cornfield. All was quiet for the first hour or so. Then about 50 minutes before dark I caught a glimpse of a deer moving in the field around 70 yrds. to my left. As I watched this deer I could tell it was a small buck. Nothing I was interested in harvesting. But as the deer ate, I noticed he was also interested in the thicket across from where he was. It wasn't long after I saw another buck emerge into the field. A definete shooter!!!! They slowly met each other, and the larger (second buck) quickly made a point then to run the other one off! I sat awaiting patiently! I was sitting just off the field edge, with plenty of fresh scrapes for a deer to check. The big boy then headed away towards the farthest woodline and worked that edge along the field for a good while. This went on for seemingly an eternity! Then all of a sudden his interest changed and he immediately came across the open field back towards me. He took an angle to the left of me again, and was 40 yrds on the move! I had my compound in hand hoping he would hit the wood edge and come towards my location a few more yrds. so I could have the chance to smoke him!!! But he hit the woods that I was in and entered. I turned to have one good spot as he quartered in my direction once in the woods, but it wasn't a shot I felt good with, so I held off. Hoping he would come back out, I sat and waited, but could hear him going behind me and heading away. I sat and waited, still had some light, but knew the path I needed to take to get out. If I was setup better I would have stayed, but decided I needed to move out sooner than staying not knowing other than where I thought he was. As I crested that field to see another, there was another GIANT! Unbelievable! Standing there all by himself! He never saw me as I slipped down over the bank and got tucked. I have no clue where this guy went, but never showed! So my night ended up with 2 Jim Dandy's and no draws! But, there is always tomorrow! I was pumped to be in position to almost shoot esp. after a messed up night. Guess thats hunting though. Just when you think you have it "just right", they seem to slip by even within a few yrds.! I will be back on them though, they will make a mistake eventially!:wink::big_smile: rollo

Last edited: Nov 6, 2009
  2. bw69r

bw69r Well-Known Member

State:
    West Newton, PA
    sounds like a great night to me Jason. ain't much that will get the old heart pumpin' like close encounters with some big bucks. sending ya some good big buck mojo for ya my friend. you'll get one of those big boys here soon.

3. bownero

bownero New Member

State:
    Hastings, Ne.
    Hey Jason!! Keep at it!! Sounds like you didn't spook the deer at all, so chances are they'll be back!! Hoping you put the smack down on them!!

Good luck too you!!

4. catfisherman369

catfisherman369 Floyd

State:
    Nashville Il.
    At least you know there is 2 nice bucks that you can pop given the chance . I saw one Thursday night about 4:30 peaking from the evergreens about 30 yards from my #1 stand . He is a monster and should be bagged by Sunday .

5. catfishrollo

catfishrollo New Member

State:
    Ohio
    Heading back tomorrow evening! Hope to draw some blood!:wink: rollo

6. Kansas Tree Rat

Kansas Tree Rat New Member

State:
    Waverly, Kansas
    Sounds like a great evening...your right that is what hunting is all about!

7. CountryHart

CountryHart New Member

State:
    missouri
    Stay hooked brother, he'll be back. Get er done.:wink:

8. catfishrollo

catfishrollo New Member

State:
    Ohio
    Well, the other GIANT I was hunting showed his face to another buddy of mine. This buck has been present in the area throughout the past weeks. Many people have seen him, along with a friend of mine. I thought maybe he would get the drift, after he saw him and was told that I setup a ground blind in pursuit of this deer. But it seems he went in to get a 60-70 yrd. shot to wound the big boy! Now, he hasn't been seen and who knows! Too bad this happened, he is a good hunter, but I am not happy about long distance shots! Especially when this same hunter has missed /wounded at other big deer the same way! My opinion! rollo

Last edited: Nov 25, 2009
  9. bw69r

bw69r Well-Known Member

State:
    West Newton, PA
    that sucks Jason. if that deer makes it then he most likely won't be as big next year. sad part is what those racks do to some people. they just have to have it and don't care how they get it. sounds like it turned your friend into a slob hunter. 60-70 yard shots should never be taken with a bow at game animals i don't care how good you are. totally unethical in my view.