Crazy Idea or No?

Discussion in 'Waterfowl Hunting' started by trapperP, Oct 8, 2008.

1. trapperP

trapperP New Member

State:
    Georgia
    OK, let's be honest here. How many mornings have you watched the sunrise over the decoys and you sat sipping on the coffee, sharing a sausage biscuit with the black dog, and thought, "I wonder if I could maybe put a baited hook under some of those decoys and catch a catfish?" Would not really be much different than jug fishing, would it?
    Some of the lakes we hunt here in GA see us etting up in water often 10-12 feet dep so I know we would be over catfish. Probaly be the fastest decoy on the lake with a decaent channel hook up! Has anyone tried it that will admit it and if so, how did it work? I'd sure like to know. :smile2:

2. Catfish_Commando

Catfish_Commando TF Staff Member

State:
    Georgia
    LOL, that would make a good product. The Decoy Duel Purpose Jug :smile2:

Good Idea :cool2:

3. DIESELkat

DIESELkat New Member

State:
    PA
    Hey now you might just have yourself an idea there. Consider this: Here in PA, we arent allowed to use motorized decoys. Now picture this. A few feet of 30# mono and a spunky gill at the bottom. Now youve got yourself a LEGAL moving PA decoy. HMMMMMMM I can see it now. "Honest officer, theres a big ol blue gill attached to it and I think he just got swallered by a flattie"

4. Blue Duck

Blue Duck New Member

State:
    Idaho
    Good idea. It might put a little action in your decoy set at the same time.

5. Mi11er

Mi11er New Member

State:
    Independence, M
    I like it!! Now you just have to get the duck commander to sign on and you have it made. It seems anything he touches turns to gold.:smile2:

6. fishnvince

fishnvince New Member

State:
    na
    Funny you should mention that. Where I hunt in later November thru mid December we still have a pretty good cat bite going on and we have brought the rods along for some Float Blind Cast and Blast outings. Once I had to put the rod between my legs while fighting a 15# Blue Cat to get a shot off on some bluebills that were over the decoys. I missed the shot but got the fish.:smile2: In the right body of water where Fish and Ducks overlap it can be a fun way to pass the time between shots

7. tiny b

tiny b Active Member

State:
    TX
    Never tried it but a few years while my son and me were putting out decoys we noticed several catfish in the water around us. Might have to try it.

8. Carp Killer

Carp Killer New Member

State:
    Kansas
    I say try it and keep us posted!!

9. crappietime

crappietime New Member

State:
    Murfreesboro Tennessee
    You aint the only one that has thought of that.I thought about tieing the line on the decoys and bait them up and see what would happen.Then also thought about taking some crappie poles to the blind and crappie fish out of it.Dont think the catfish would be in where we hunt since it is a flooded management area off Ky Lake.But I beat the crappie are in there cause part of the bottoms keep water year round in the there and people are in their fishing during the summer.But my blind is in the flooded cornfield part.Just a few more weeks and I hope the good Lord will let me be there on opener.

10. jdward

jdward New Member

State:
    Memphis, TN
    Hey crappietime, we've thought the same thing a hundred times too. If I had a nickel for everytime my dad said we oughta be crappie fishin....... Well, let us know how it works out, I may just have to try it out on the mighty mississippi this year if the water doesn't start rising and I mean FAST!