Crazy dog habit.

Discussion in 'General Conversation' started by cook, Feb 1, 2006.

1. cook

cook New Member

State:
    Plattsburg,Mo.(near K.C.)
    Have a 2 yr. old german shepard.
    All shots,fixed.
    Fenced yard,daily walks,indoors 75% of the time.
    Played with,generally well behaved,listens to commands.

But...

He loves to lick the carpet,not just a few swipes,but he will lay in one spot for 1/2 hour and get it soaking wet!!!He has a well balanced diet,big bones and favorite toys,occasional table scarps(O.K.,daily treats:rolleyes: )

Not really a big issue,feels odd stepping in a spot barefoot at 4 a.m. going to the bathroom.

Any thoughts?:confused: :confused:

2. sal_jr

sal_jr New Member

State:
    Ithaca, MI
    can I use the word "Lesbian" in my response?

Parental instinct- The need to clean the furry things around it in order to feel as though it is a good dog, regardless of having pups or not. The animal probably likes the feel of the texture on its tounge- and there aint nothing wrong with it. There could also be a vitamin deficiency or salt dificiency.

sal

3. ryang

ryang Well-Known Member

State:
    Blacklick, Ohio
    Name:
    Gary
    Sal you just aint right bro I about fell out of my chair laughing with that one.

4. pendog66

pendog66 New Member

State:
    Brookville OH
    i made probaly the worst mistake with my dog.(Yellow Lab 5 years old) When she was smaller i taught her how to shake and speak, so now if i have food of any kind she will give me the sad eyes, put her paw on my leg trying to shake whining and barking at me

5. Nobody Special

Nobody Special New Member

State:
    TN
    I recently bought my old dog one of those big fluffy pillows and when it was turned to the flannel side, he would lay there licking it. If I flipped it over, he would stop. After washing the cover, he had no interest in licking it anymore. I think you've got something in the carpet that tasts good to him.

6. TNVOLCAT

TNVOLCAT New Member

State:
    Tennessee
    I'm glad to see somebody's dog doing this besides mine. We have a 30lb. Boston Terrier that licks the couch,pillows,carpet, and our feet! It drives us crazy,but he is a good loyal dog. He didn't start doing this much until our twins were born in Sept. 2004. I think it is more of a mental thing for him than anything due to the decreased attention he gets now that he has competition in the house. P.S. He is great with the kids and is very protective of them!

7. cook

cook New Member

State:
    Well,I guess it's not so unusual...........now Sal........thats another matter!!:crying:

:) :) :)

8. Catcaller

Catcaller New Member

State:
    SoutheastKansas
    Sprinkle black pepper on his rug licking spot. He'll leave it alone.

9. dgde4x4man

dgde4x4man New Member

State:
    La Moille, Illinois
    You can get a spray like Apple bitter or something like that and it will get them to stop chewing or licking that spot. You can find it at a tack store or maybe a pet shop might have something like that too.

10. Dano

Dano New Member

State:
    Texas
    I've never had a dog lick carpet. My 2 golden retrievers I had, best dang dogs I ever had, they loved to lick my wood burning stove when its not fired up. They would lick it for ever and drove me nuts.
    It drives me nuts when my dog goes to licking, nibbling fleas etc. down below. I tell em to go out in the yard and do that. LOL.

11. flathunter

flathunter New Member

State:
    Ohio
    This is the truth, my dog will set on the floor or lay on it and fart, then he licks the spot where he farts!

12. Dano

Dano New Member

State:
    Texas
    LMAO, my dog farts but ya cant hear em. If I watch her I can tell by the way she acts on who done it. Man, dog farts are bout the sickest smell I have ever smelled. Talk about clearing a room out. It will piss me off.
    Then go to licking it . Why do dogs do that. LOL.

We got a stray dog we took in. She stays outside and our other dog is in and out. This one dog for some reason she always comes up and for no reason starts licking my hand. I cant stand it.

13. Coloman

Coloman New Member

State:
    Soddy Daisy, Tn

When my dog farts it peals the paint off the wall...........!!

14. Cheryl

Cheryl Well-Known Member

State:
    TN
    It may be Pica. I will list some links you can check out for yourselves. People even have pica. But pets do too. For various reasons. I had a manx cymric cat that loved the smell of Flexall. The first time I put it on a sore muscle, I quickly found out that he loved it. He wanted to lick, love and lick some more. It was like an aphrodisiac to him. Needless to say, I learned not to use it unless he was in the basement. A cat's tongue is rough! LOL.

Here are some links:

http://www.healthy-dogs.net/pica.htm

http://www.usask.ca/wcvm/herdmed/applied-ethology/behaviourproblems/picabeh.html

http://www.ddfl.org/behavior/PICA.pdf

http://www.naturalcanine.com/Merchant2/merchant.mv?Screen=CTGY&Store_Code=TNC&Category_Code=PAERCWE

Perhaps these will help, then perhaps the dog just picked up a bad habit, like smoking in humans.

15. wpsatisfide

wpsatisfide New Member

State:
    Pawleys Island, SC
    Ive got a 2.5 year old mutt, some people have told me its a carolina dog but I think that is people trying to make their dogs be something besides a mutt. Anyway she got hit by the short bus when she was 8 months old. Because she wasnt that tall, the muffler barely pinged her in the head. She only needed a few stitches.

Ever since then she has this weird habit of chewing invisible fleas. She will do it to anything, play toys, blankets, clothes, shoes, whatever. Its pretty much nostop unless shes playing, eating, or sleeping.

Guess its better than chewing things up though

16. FS Driver

FS Driver New Member

State:
    swansea,illinoi
    our boston terrier MOE licks his legs (front legs at the wrist joint area)
    vet said he may be arthretic and is trying to soothe the discomfort
    hes 11 years .
    i would say that there is something chemical in the carpet that is
    pleaseing to him or like stated earlier he likes the feel of it
    on his tounge.
    he may have licked his butt and is trying to get the taste out of his mouth too !!!!:rolleyes:

17. stickthrower

stickthrower New Member

State:
    Possum Kingdom Lk, TX
    I gotta agree with DRC, he licked his butt and is trying to get rid of the taste! Wouldn't you?:)

Frank

18. cook

cook New Member

State:
    Ughhhhh!I could have done without reading this at 5 a.m.!!
    But true,dog farts are the worst!!

19. river scum

river scum New Member

State:
    hooterville indiana
    cook,

you ever tried licking the carpet, you mite like it! :p

i agree, sal you just aint rite bro.

20. Deltalover

Deltalover New Member

State:
    Tracy Calif
    I got a "Poodle Bull", yep it's what you think! Looks like a big sheepdog! He is about 5 years old but thinks he's a 70 pound puppy and trys to jump in Debi's arms, (who weighs in at 115) and knocks her flat! When our cat had kittens, he addopted them and a couple of times he tried to guard the kittens from there mother, which didnt go over too big! He loves cats and they love him, though he has about licked all the hair off of them!:) My other dog, a poodle, likes to find bones and such outside and bury them inside the house!