Crayfish

Discussion in 'Catfishing Baits' started by CatBusster, Feb 4, 2006.

1. CatBusster

CatBusster New Member

State:
    Out Fishing
    Any of you guys use crayfish in your chum or on the hook as dead bait or superglued on as live?

2. TIM HAGAN

TIM HAGAN New Member

State:
    Walkersvil
    Hey Cat its a great bait I fish them alive just hook them in the tail an cast them out there. Man they will do the work for you they will try an swim away it just draws them fish right to them.

3. rednecksportsman511

rednecksportsman511 New Member

State:
    Birmingham, AL
    only reason i never fish with crawfish is cuz the ones i catch usually end up in my stomach. mmmmmmm man they are good eatin, boiled spicy with taters. im drooling. every year we have a huge crawfish boil in downtown birmingham and they have some bands come and play. i should try them as bait though. ive also been told that shrimp does good.

4. CatBusster

CatBusster New Member

State:
    Out Fishing
    we are banned from using them in England and Spain as they are a protected species, The ebro is full of them and have sneaked the odd dead one out, usually the rod does not stay out for long. Someone mentioned about a cheap bait for cats, the crays are free and breed like flies. You get the Red Signal in the states if I remember right, trouble is the tails taste good on the BBQ

5. willisjj

willisjj Guest

They are good bait, but like rednecksportsman, they usually end up in my stomach! I (and my son) have made a few traps, some good, some not, and finally ended up with one that I am happy with. I keep meaning to take some pictures and write a "how to" on it. But anyway, when I take traps out it is usually because I am hungry for some 'dads and not because I need bait. I will put some of the smaller ones aside for bait though, but I could never bring myself to use one of the big, juicy ones!

6. etipriga

etipriga New Member

State:
    TX
    I dont know where u guys are from but around here everyone tells me that all that will bite them is a gasper goo. Last year i started out using them on my trotlines and i did extremly well with them. You better hope that a fish takes one before its dead for to long because after about a day they stink so bad that you wont want to touch them. But i guess then its makes a good stink bait.:what-big:

7. crazy

crazy New Member

State:
    Kansas CIty, MO
    I use them all time when fishing for smallmouth. The ones that have just got done molting? are the best though. Nice soft shell for the fish.

8. jcozee1

jcozee1 New Member

State:
    ILLINOIS
    Yeah I've heard of using them for bait. They are good. they will draw the fish to the and I've even heard of meltin velveta cheese and lettin it cool down for a bit or just addin some oatmeal or crushed cereal (Corn flakes, chex, or somethng like that) then just let it get stinky, but don't let it harden, and dip them in that then cast 'em out there. Yeah I heard that they were good bait and even better doing the velveta thing.

9. fraid_knot

fraid_knot Guest

Im with Red and Willis. The bigger ones never make it close to a hook. I have been known to eat the bait.
    Good thing I dont carry crackers, cuz that liver/cheese/garlic sure smells good after awhile.

10. wendell

wendell New Member

State:
    illinois
    Where I fish they work better than shad.