Crayfish

Discussion in 'Channel Catfish' started by wizkersNworms, Mar 8, 2007.

1. wizkersNworms

wizkersNworms New Member

State:
    Illinois
    A local lake I fish is loaded with crayfish, bluegill, crappie, and tons of channel cats. State laws prohibit the use of live bluegill, crappie, etc., but do not prohibit the use of crayfish as bait.

I have used the standard baits such as chicken liver, worms, stinkbait, etc., but would like to know how other members of the BOC have used and had success with crayfish as bait for channel cats, and other bait suggestions in this situation.

Thank you.

2. AwShucks

AwShucks New Member

State:
    Guthrie, Oklaho
    There is a couple of trains of thought about using craw fish for bait. 1) hook them through the tail, starting at the end of the tail so the line is furtherest away from their head. This is supposed t keep them from crawling up the line. Hasn't helped me in this regard. 2) Hook them under the heavy part of the shell, going as shallow as you can so you don't damage their internal organs. 3) Pinch the head off and use the tail as shrimp. I have always preferred #1.

3. catman529

catman529 New Member

State:
    Tennessee
    I caught my first cat by accident on a cricket. but he was just a little 10-incher and I was very new to fishing.

but my real first cat was a 15" channel caught on a.....crawfish. I have caught a couple on crawfish but don't use them much for cats. I had my success in the spring, around may. also I only caught catfish with the larger crawfish, like 3 inches long or so. hope this helps.

4. curdog

curdog New Member

State:
    Sheridan, Arkansas
    You can break off the big pinchers that helps to keep it from climbing the line.

5. CJ21

CJ21 New Member

State:
    Montgomery, Alabama
    Looks like ur only option is to try crayfish, worms, or livers for bait.

6. kat in the hat

kat in the hat New Member

State:
    Missouri
    I don't use crayfish for cats much anymore mainly because the water that I fish has buffalo, and other fish that like them better than cats do. Catfish do eat them. Especially channels, and small flathead. In a small lake, they might just be the ticket. I've never bothered breaking the pinchers off, but that's an idea. All you can do is try, and see if they work there.

7. poisonpits

poisonpits Well-Known Member Supporting Member

State:
    arkansas
    Name:
    johnnie
    never used them for flats but use them a lot for channels.start at the tail and thread them on like a shrimp.bring the hook out at the stomach then tahe and lay the crawdad on the ground and gently step on it brakeing the shell to let the jucies flow better.works great.johnnie

8. Drum Andersen

Drum Andersen New Member

State:
    Nebraska
    When I use crawfish it seems like the cats prefer the smaller soft sheld ones.

9. Oldbear

Oldbear Member

State:
    Iowa
    I usually pull the claws off and hook them threw the tail like a shrimp. I think poisonpits has got a better idea and I'm pretty sure their not gonna crawl up the line.

10. Big Cat Dad

Big Cat Dad New Member

State:
    Montana
    I’ve used crayfish as extensively as possible.....with little to no luck. Now....it should be noted that I've trapped the crayfish in a creek system that isn't linked to the river that I fish them. In the river I fish….I notice them on the bank every once in a while but not that often.

I've caught maybe 1 channel in hours of fishing with crayfish. I haven't had great luck with them, but maybe you will because they are so prevalent in the water you are fishing.

11. weekendredneck69

weekendredneck69 New Member

State:
    Kansas
    When it comes to me usin crawdids. I always catch bass before i will a channel when usin them in shallow water on a cork...but theres a river channel that runs out in front of our dock and i have caught some channels there on them... Now if you try and catch your own in a trap it would be a good idea to use like a filleted fish from that same body of water as bait in the trap.

Bazil