Crayfish for Catfish

Discussion in 'VIRGINIA RIVERS TALK' started by flathead willie, May 30, 2006.

1. flathead willie

flathead willie Well-Known Member

State:
    Virginia
    I used some crawdads for bait at the lake last year and did pretty well. I was wondering if anyone has tried them on The James River yet? Do you think the Smallmouth would get them before the cats had a chance?

2. SwiftWater

SwiftWater New Member

State:
    Central Virginia
    I have never tried them personally, but if I were to use them it would probably be 50/50. My best flathead spots are also my favorite smallie holes, so it would be a win, win, situation for me. Might give them a try!

My nephew said he uses crawfish with good success. No monsters, but nice sized cats.

3. SilencedMajority

SilencedMajority New Member

State:
    White Mtns, AZ
    Where I fish the crawdads are a nuisance, they are all over the bank. Can someone give me a good way to rig them on, let say, a kahle? Do you think its a good bait for 2-6 lb channels?

4. Ripper

Ripper New Member

State:
    Virginia

I use a carolina rig with a 16-18in. leader,and a 4/0 or 5/0 kahle.

I hook them thru the tail if their alive,and thru the shell if their dead.

Hope this helps!

Oh Yeah,they are a excellent bait for smaller channels,and i have caught them up to 11 or 12 lbs on crayfish.

5. flathead willie

State:
    Virginia
    That's the way I hook them. When I used them at the lake I got a half dozen cats from 3 to 6 pounds. One got hit while I was messing with another pole and before I knew it it about spooled me and then got hung up. It took off like a rocket dragging 25# line off my 9' spinning rod.

6. Spongiform

Spongiform New Member

State:
    Virginia
    I remember going camping for a week at the George Washington National Forest with the whole family when I was a kid.

We went down to a big reservoir one day to check it out. My dad spent most of the time fishing. We could see this rather large bass out in the water just patroling back and forth about 10-15 feet out in the water. It was really clear water - so very easy to see him.

My dad tried every single lure he had and the bass just ignored it completely. So my dad came to me for help (I always loved digging around in creeks and streams for bugs and critters). Caught him a large adult crayfish and wham - one large bass for dinner that night :D

We always used to hook them through the tail - so when you pulled them in they moved like they naturally do.

Sadly, I checked all the local creeks and streams that I used to go creekin' in as a kid and I couldn't find a single crayfish this year! I guess the half million houses they've built here since I was a kid was just too much for them.

~
    Brian

7. flathead willie

State:
    Virginia
    Brian,
    Don't give up. They are still there I'll bet. I use a minnow trap, the kind you see all over with the round shape, funnel ends, two piece. Put any kind of bait, ( dead fish, hot dogs, cold cuts, cat food,etc.) in it and leave it over night. Unless the stream is extremely polluted, there will be Mudfish (crayfish) in it in the morning. Any impoundment with Rip Rap around it will be full of them.
    They are nocturnal and burrow deep into the ground during the day. A guy I know had to fill in his swimming pool because the crawdads kept burrowing into it causing leaks......and it was 50 yards from the nearest spring!

8. tdpasser

tdpasser New Member

State:
    Gilbert AZ
    For bass and cats I hook them through the top part of the tail with a decent size hook say 3/0, for this rig I like the Gamacatsu Shiner hook because it's thinner and lighter, they are very simular to the kahle. I like to use a sliding bobber because you can drift them right above the bottom and cover a good area. Also with them on a bobber the crawdad does more work for you than it would on the bottom because when it's supended off the bottom it constantly swimming trying to get away causing more vibration and a good visual. on the bottom they can hide and then you more rely on sent. I have also caught giant bluegills on the little crawdads. I've cleaned flats and channels and both have had a somach full of claws and bones but they were more the smaller ones like under 10lbs.

9. mack in n.c.

mack in n.c. Member

State:
    cary nc
    i hook them in the tail......but dont hook them in the middle of the tail ...there is a vein that if you stick it it will kill them thats in the middle.....i hook them between the middle and the out side edge........for cats i leave the claws on......for bass i take 1 or both of the claws off.........dont cut them off........they will die if you cut them off.....take needle nose pliers and squeeze the arm between two joints .......if the crayfish doesnt let his claw go squeeze a little harder and so on.....he will eventually drop his claw......when he drops the claw he has a flap that covers the end that was lost......thus he lives.....that is until mr bass or cat gets him..........also like fw i use funnel minnow traps but a make the openings just a little bit bigger........mack

10. flathead willie

State:
    Virginia
    I don't take the claws off. The fish have been eating them a long time without me cleaning them beforehand.