Crayfish for bait?

Discussion in 'Catfishing Baits' started by tomcat85, Jul 18, 2006.

1. tomcat85

tomcat85 New Member

State:
    uh
    In my local park there is a crick and there are tons of crayfish. I have never used them as bait and i was just wondering if they were good for channel catfish? Also anyone on pennsylvania know if theyre legal to use for bait? Any help would be great brothers thanks!

2. laidbck111

laidbck111 New Member

yep they are very good for bait but like minnows and shad your never sure what you will catch almost all fish will eat them.

3. Backwater

Backwater New Member

State:
    Tennessee
    You can catch almost anything on crayfish. Catfish love them. I think I read once that crawfish are one of the highest level of protien food sources availble in a lot of waters. Be prepared, I once caught a 9.7 lb bass on a live crawfish.

4. tomcat85

tomcat85 New Member

State:
    uh
    thanks guys im definately going to go collect some!

5. catfishjohn

catfishjohn New Member

State:
    Greenup Co. KY
    I agree with them,they are good bait,I've done better with soft craws though.

6. da-cajun-angla

da-cajun-angla New Member

State:
    louisiana
    The Hell With Bait...boil Them Suckers...and Eat Em'...

7. Gringoloco

Gringoloco Member

State:
    Ft. Belvoir, VA
    Name:
    Josh
    Crayfish work good as bait but I have yet to find a good way to keep them on the hook good. Normally one good strike and your bait is gone.

8. Gordhawk

Gordhawk New Member

State:
    Iowa
    Try starting your hook in the tail area & bring the barb of the hook out in the chest area. Works good for me!

9. KansasKatter

KansasKatter New Member

State:
    Wichita Kansas
    They are VERY good bait. If you can find soft ones, those are even BETTER!! When they molt, the do not have a shell, and catfish LOVE them then, kind of like I love a tender steak! If they are not soft, take a small rock, or pliers and "soften" them up a little by cracking the shell a few places. I have never really had any better luck on live ones than dead ones, and the live ones will get you hung crawling under rocks!

As for hooking them, try starting at the tail, like stated above, but after you come out, just at the anus, twist him around on the hook, slide him up on the line if need be, just a little, and put the hook back into his head/back, just behind the eyes, just past the tip of the barb, as you would a plastic worm. I even have some long shank hooks I use exclusively for catfish.

This will make him "weedless" to an extent, and keep him on the hook. Channels will also eat the head first 9 times out of 10.

10. PeZ

PeZ New Member

State:
    Oklahoma
    theres a great trap design in the library i was thinking of building mabe you should try that to catch some

11. CJ21

CJ21 New Member

State:
    Montgomery, Alabama
    I have heard they work for cats, but I have never try none myself.

12. channelcat_tracker

channelcat_tracker New Member

State:
    Iowa
    when in doubt with crawfish, EAT EM!:lol: :lol: they are delicious in a spicy blend!

13. Taliesin

Taliesin New Member

State:
    Missouri
    Crayfish (also known as crawfish and crawdads) are great catfish bait. They are also great bait for black bass, drum, carp, and several other species.

14. Georgiajack

Georgiajack New Member

State:
    Georgia
    One of the very best nights I have ever had was fishing with crawfish. I got lots of channels, and blues that night, the good eatin' size, from a foot long to 11 pounds. I fished them on limb lines in the river, I also had, a few lines busted. That could have been gators nabbing my catch. Good fishin', Jack.

15. tomcat85

tomcat85 New Member

State:
    uh
    yeah my dad handed me down a crawfish trap. it works great!

16. Winkstr

Winkstr New Member

State:
    Missouri
    I use to work in a bait shop part time...great bait for catfish, if they die off during your trip let them sit in warter until you get home and then freeze them. Next trip out use them. I have had better luck with the ones that had died off in the bait tank and sat for a day or two, than fresh live. But when they thaw the are very hard to keep on the hook. Good luck.