Crayfish/Crawfish

Discussion in 'All Catfishing' started by motodragon2003, Aug 24, 2006.

1. motodragon2003

motodragon2003 New Member

State:
    Indiana
    Ok I've heard these are good bait for cats....and I recently bought a trap for them....my problem is....I've never ever used them nor touched one....so how in the heck do you pick these up and bait them without getting pinched???

2. Dmitri

Dmitri New Member

State:
    Illinois
    If you are afraid just use a rag or shirt to pick 'em up with. I usually pick them up along the legs behind their larger arms with the pincers and then thread the hook through one side of the tail and out the other side.

3. gadzooks

gadzooks New Member

State:
    Kingwood, Tx (Houston)
    The pinches hurt only for a moment, nothing like getting stuck by catfish spike fins. Just like with a catfish, grab 'em from behind.

4. motodragon2003

motodragon2003 New Member

State:
    Indiana
    Ok I'm sure I can manage :) Now on to the more important question.....are they really that good a bait to warrant the headache invovled with collecting and baiting them?

5. BamaCats

BamaCats New Member

State:
    Alabama
    they are one of the best beaits i have used for channels i have ever used. and the best thing about it is. what you dont use for bait you cna eat :big_smile: .

6. photocat

photocat New Member

State:
    HOCO, Maryland
    Actually all you have to do is reach down there and pick them up between your teeth... , they see the mouth coming down and it scares them so they close their claws and tuck them under themselves so that you don't get hurt... just make sure you don't have bad breath cause they'll give your lip a pinch if you do....

Ok so maybe i'm kidding a little bit... They work well as bait. to really pick them up grab them on their back with your fingers... just past where their claws come and meet their body... can't get you... if they do your in the wrong spot... it only takes 3 or 4 times doing that to find the spots they can get to and learn the ones they can't (if that many). just hook them through the tail with a large hook (about 1/2 way up the tail works)

7. gadzooks

gadzooks New Member

State:
    Kingwood, Tx (Houston)
    And, if you don't get a catfish, the bass love 'em, as does every other freshwater fish that eats flesh.

8. john barber

john barber New Member

State:
    north carolina
    you can catch about any kind of fish in the river with those things and like they said you can eat all the left overs . I can't seem to safe any for the fish myself :tounge_out:

9. Sunburn

Sunburn New Member

State:
    Williamsto
    The ones that we bought were molting and were called "Soft Craws". Catchy name huh? Anyhow, they were like brown gold to Channels. If the channels didn't hit those, we went home cause the fish just weren't biting. If "Hard Craws" are all you can find, we used to use the white tail meat for bait and it worked well also. Now days you can ask for them at a bait shop and they look at you with no clue what you're even talking about. Many shop owners say they've never heard of them. Good luck. Phil...

10. David Knotts

David Knotts New Member

State:
    Bossier City, La
    Crawfish, it's whats for dinner.lol

11. Pastor E

Pastor E New Member

State:
    Beebe AR
    I all ways pull the big craws off mine they are all so one of the best blue cat bait flat head will hit them too:big_smile:

12. loki1982

loki1982 New Member

State:
    Texas
    I havnt had much luck with crawfish but heres what you do. You pick them up from behind, from the top. Use you thumb and pointer finger one of each side. They cant pinch you because there claws dont rotate. And as was mentioned above, there pinch isnt that painful, and doesnt last. Its nothing but pressure, no toxins or anything and rarley breaks the skin. If you do happen to get pinched set them on the ground or in water and theyll release.

13. BigGreen

BigGreen New Member

State:
    IL
    How do ypu present them in the water? If its on the bottom wouldn't they crawl under a rock?

14. thomcat

thomcat New Member

State:
    pennsylvania 17745
    if u like to eat crawdads, use the leftover shells and freeze them with some fish parts, makes for one heck of a chum?

15. loki1982

loki1982 New Member

State:
    Texas
    I think the general idea is to hook them through the tail, and put a decent sized weight on so they cant move it, or you could use a float rig of some sort.