Crayfish / Crawdads

Discussion in 'LOCAL MISSOURI TALK' started by swmo guy, Apr 18, 2009.

1. swmo guy

swmo guy New Member

State:
    Missouri
    Anyone ever had any luck catching crawdads big enough to eat in the southwest Missouri or northeast Oklahoma area? I have never tried but saw some videos online about it and they look pretty tasty!

I wouldn't know where to go or how to catch them if anyone has any pointers... Are they all safe and good to eat?

2. Mo.Hick

Mo.Hick Active Member

State:
    Madison Mo.
    Gary I used to eat them all the time when I was growing up. I live about 40 miles east of KC. We would set minnow/crawdad traps in ponds and creeks. Never had trouble catching them. They are tasty little critters!

Tom

3. Dirtdobber

Dirtdobber Guest Staff Member

State:
    Vian Okla
    We catch them here all the time. The big ones we eat and the small one we use for bait.

4. kmcalester

kmcalester Active Member

State:
    Kansas City
    I wanna know if these things really work for flatheads.

5. TheMadCatter

TheMadCatter New Member

State:
    missouri
    yeah im in st louis county and i have about five traps i made myself. we set them out and usually get a pretty good number of them. but we mostly use them for bait, unless there a reall good number of big ones. then its dinner time. keep in mind that you dont wanna eat frozen ones unless you prep them and freeze them properly, as shell fish not processed properly can make you very ill. oh yeah and make sure you use a real good amount of bait, i use about 1.5 to 2 pounds of skip jack/catfish heads. the traps are super easy to build with just one trip to the hardware store.

6. TheMadCatter

TheMadCatter New Member

State:
    missouri
    i know they do, i have seen the results.

7. Swampfox.

Swampfox. New Member

State:
    Louisiana
    mud bugs, uhmmm love um. I agree with madcatter, get you a few traps together and catch more at once. then all you need is a pot and spices. you can cook them, de-tail them then you can freeze um.

8. theonecatfishbob

theonecatfishbob New Member

State:
    Wright City, Missouri
    Any of you have a recipe you would share?? Much appreciated. I had them once and really liked them.

9. 1mickymoo

1mickymoo New Member

State:
    Edgerton, Kansas
    I just boil mine with lemon, cayenne and the liquid crab boil, m mm m good

10. TheMadCatter

TheMadCatter New Member

State:
    missouri
    they have bags of various spices at bass pro you can use to season the boil water, but truthfully the crawdads from more southern regions (mississippi, lousiana, alabama) are bigger and taste better. we put out some traps in lousiana a couple years back and caught hundreds of the real big bright red ones. tasted just like lobster.

11. Welder

Welder New Member

State:
    Missouri
    Mo conservation department had a big write up on em last year. Set traps in tablerock lake for crawdads up to 6 inches. I catch em up here around herman in a few creeks in late june with a castnet just look for wide shaded holes aboout 1 ft to 2 ft deep with gravel bottoms and clean water. For cookin just use 2 tablespoons of old bay seasoning to the gallon boil and enjoy. Dont forget to purge em in clean water 24hr before cooking.

12. swmo guy

swmo guy New Member

State:
    Missouri
    Thanks for all the info... That's what I love about the BOC! When you put the traps out, how long do you leave them? Do people ever steal them?

Thanks again!

13. unclebuncle

unclebuncle New Member

State:
    Humboldt,K
    Sometimes when fishings slow the kids and I will fish for crawdads.We just put a chunk of fish on hook and drop it near some rocks.When they come out and get ahold just slowly pick it up and swing it over a bucket and shake them off.Lot of fun and good way to get bait and chow.

14. whiskers67

whiskers67 New Member

State:
    california
    We got a place out here by the name of boiling crab,they have crab,oysters,shrimp and of course crayfish(mudbugs).Their pretty damn tasty and even better if you spice em rite.You can catch em up to 6 inches.Remember their damn tasty but a little work to eat so in this case the bigger the better.GOOD LUCK BUGGEN!!!!!!

15. cheapNdisgusting

cheapNdisgusting Well-Known Member Supporting Member Supporting Member

State:
    Yonder in Mo.
    Name:
    Russ
    Mine are homemade and not very pretty but they work. In Mo. you must have your name and address on them.

I set mine and check it 24 hrs. later, but I'm on a small river and pretty much just local people. Never had any problems with getting the trap(s) stolen, but I'm sure I'm not the only one that "checks them". You may have problems on a more public active area.

For bait, I start with canned dogfood and put it in a can shaped piece of 1/4" hardware cloth inside the trap. The next day I hopefully will get a fish or two and then use the guts and head.

16. BKS72

BKS72 New Member

State:
    East of KC
    If you don't feel like setting traps, you can order the big Louisiana crawdads live online. I think they were about $100 for 20#. They pack them in ice and ship them to the nearest major airport to you. Kind of spendy, but those things get huge.

17. Quackheadjh

Quackheadjh New Member

State:
    Missouri
    Here in Western Mo along the Missouri River we have big Crawdads. We use minnow/crawdad traps with hole shad for bait. Look in backwater areas in large creeks or old sloughs. Remember to purge them like was said before, I just use tap water for a couple of days, then cook em.