Crawler huntin'

Discussion in 'LOCAL KANSAS TALK' started by delbert bumbleshoot, Apr 30, 2009.

1. delbert bumbleshoot

delbert bumbleshoot New Member

State:
    Overland Park,Kansas
    All this rain it's time to get out and collect some crawlers. I picked up 500-600 last night in front of my house.Most of them look like small garter snakes and they're a lot tougher than the ones you buy at the bait shop. I won't have to buy any worms all summer.They were hooked up doing the wild thing last night. Makes it pretty easy to snag 'em.Get a strong flashlight or headlamp. Stuff a rag in your pocket so you can clean your hands every so often.Get a small bucket and you're ready to go out.The richer the soil the more the worms...the thinner the gass the easier they are to pick up.If you are out in the middle of a heavy rain there will be some in the gutters. When grabbing the crawlers try to grab the end that is in the dirt.They come out much easier that way.When they try to go back into the hole hold on tight till they ease their muscles up.If you pull too hard and break them throw them away. Sick or diseased or half worms will die and kill the rest of your worms. Check them often and put them in separate containers if you get a whole bunch of them. I have one store bought worm keeper and one styrafoam specimen cooler that I keep mine in. I put 20-30 in a margarine container for fishin trips.Remember when it comes to inflow 2 things to remember....1 Anything that swims will eat a big gob of worms. 2. If you ain't buying them you can fish with 5-8 worms on a good sized j hook. It will improve your catch.We're not perch jerkin with half a red wiggler. I'm using a 7/0 Gamakatsu octopus hook or a 5/0 Mustad about the size of a golf ball.I got 2 buckets worth in 1 hour 45 minutes last night.Here's a couple of pics.

Attached Files:

2. DANNYfrmINDY

DANNYfrmINDY New Member

State:
    Martinsville, Indiana
    great job. I havn't done that since i was kid.

3. shelbygt1979

shelbygt1979 New Member

State:
    Olathe, KS
    Eric, Thanks for the story and the pics I have been looking in the yard but can't find any yet this year maybe one or two here and there.

I did find a bunch last year.

Must not of paid enough for my dirt so I have poor dirt:tounge_out::wink:

I need some of the Rich dirt you have.:cool2:Lol

4. byoung

byoung Member

State:
    DeSoto, Kansas
    Nice job. Kinda rude though, messin with em in the middle of the wildthing. :)
    I've had luck using red light, they seem to be less sensitive. I've got a fridge in the garage I keep mine in (wife won't let me keep them in the kitchen fridge).

5. River_monster91

River_monster91 New Member

State:
    central kansas
    we got about 75 last time we went out. our lights to bright and skered em away.

6. n2fishn

n2fishn New Member

State:
    Topeka,Kan
    Eric thats a lot of crawlers.
    Nothing better for bait right now with all the infow.

7. kscathunter

kscathunter New Member

State:
    Louisburg,
    i picked up enough for a while last night. i cant seem to keep them alive for more than a couple weeks or id pick up a few hundred.

8. unclebuncle

unclebuncle New Member

State:
    Humboldt,K
    My yard is full of them and I like it when they're making babys cant scare them.

9. rush_60

rush_60 New Member

State:
    Troy, KS
    I found some giant ones under some logs a few days after the rain. They are some of the biggest I've ever seen.

10. kcgeoff

kcgeoff New Member

State:
    Kansas
    That's one good thing about that this rain. You can gather plenty of nightcrawlers.

11. Katatonik

Katatonik New Member

State:
    Ogden, Kansas,
    You are a hard working man, Eric! Nice bunch of them nightcrawlers. My yard
    is a good place to look for them, but I've just had my belly button reworked
    and I'd bust stitches trying for them this year. Next year, though, I am
    gonna catch them right at this time of year and grab them two at a time!
    I got a worm farm that I've never used and it is past time to ta fill er up!
    Maybe next year it won't hurt as much to bend over if I don't blow it now.

12. rush_60

rush_60 New Member

State:
    Troy, KS

So I'm guessing that your little operation went well?

13. Katatonik

Katatonik New Member

State:
    Ogden, Kansas,
    Yeah, Casey. They said they were going to keep me awake for most of it,
    but I don't remember much past getting strapped down to the tilt table
    and putting an IV in my hand. Must have said something stupid to the
    anesthesiologist. Looked like he preferred to work on wacked up patients.
    No sense of humor. They basically reinforced my abdominal wall where it
    ripped and turned my belly button into a deep "inny". Bending over is no
    longer an option for several days. Never have worked well bent over anyways.
    Gonna have to work on getting my gut smaller after this heals.

14. delbert bumbleshoot

State:
    Overland Park,Kansas
    If it keeps raining like it has been I may have a lot more than I can use.My kids like to eat bluegill and the spawn will be on soon. Nothing like fried bluegill fillets.Gotta find bigguns though.A couple more trips like this and I will have more than I can keep.Maybe I can meet you halfway between us OSAge Sfl or something and bring ya a bucketfull Michael. Did you find any turkey liver anywhere in Manhattan? I haven't tried to score any this year yet. Any of you guys close to OP I can get you some worms but you'll have to bring your own containers. Dennis is trying to wean me off my liver habit.Cut bait seems to work better in the river. I'll be interested to try cut carp at Pleasonton sometime.I used some cut shad last year and they ignored it. They didn't like the dip bait either.

15. shelbygt1979

shelbygt1979 New Member

State:
    Olathe, KS
    You know where the biggins are we caught some last year. Remember??

I'll take some worms Eric. I am sure you won't charge as much as the bait shops do.

I tried cut bluegill there last year when I was with you it was just you kept catchin them and I was not so I switched over to liver too.

16. kcgeoff

kcgeoff New Member

State:
    Kansas
    When we going? LOL:smile2:

17. team salmon

team salmon New Member

State:
    kansas
    DUG THE RUBBER BOOTS OUT YESTERDAY AND GETTING NEW BATTERIES FOR THE HEAD LAMP - THE GUY WHOSE LAND I BOW HUNT SAID COME ON OVER AND GET SOME - I KEEP HIM IN SUPPLY WITH DEER JERKY - MUSHROOMS (WHEN I FIND EM) AND FRESH CATFISH FELLETS - DOESN'T LET ANYBODY ELSE HUNT HIS GROUND ANYMORE:wink:

18. Katatonik

Katatonik New Member

State:
    Ogden, Kansas,
    Eric, my wife keeps telling me we are broke and I don't go out looking for
    stuff I want until I'm given a budget. Turkey livers are on the list but
    beneath gas and electric bill a long ways. I know just the people to talk
    to: Sam Saroff's is a bulk supplier of meats and frozen vegitables near
    the downtown bridge across the Blue. If they don't have it, they will
    order it for me. Just don't know the dimensions of the deal. They may
    have a gigantic lower limit on ordering. Ten pounds I could handle.
    Much more than that is a head scratcher. I need to win the lottery.

19. delbert bumbleshoot

State:
    Overland Park,Kansas
    It's easier to keep 'em if you don't have 500 in a container.you boys don't have to pay me. I will get a bunch more this weekend. I'm up for some inflow fishing maybe we could go somewhere there are crappie too.... My back yard is like a rice paddy with a couple inches of standing water.Since I no longer have 4wd this could be a serious problem.:sad2:May not be able to get my bass boat in and out of the shed.:confused2:Of course if it continues to rain the crappie fishing won't be worth a darn anyway.Channel cats might be our best bet anywho.