Crawfish

Discussion in 'Catfishing Baits' started by The Catfish Stalker, Jul 23, 2008.

1. The Catfish Stalker

The Catfish Stalker New Member

State:
    Illinois
    I recently started using crawfish and I was wondering what's the best way to use it as bait? I've been hooking it under the tail and through the hard shell (it's thorax or whatever it's called). Is this the best way? I was also wondering if it's best to cut off it's pinchers?

2. Scott Daw

Scott Daw New Member

State:
    Allentown, Pennsylvania
    If I fish em whole, I remove the claws, squish the head for scent and hook it from under the tail out the top. I'll let the fish eat it before setting (10 count usually works). Or I strip & deshell the tail and thread the meat onto a hook. This works good and catches everything.

3. whisker maniac

whisker maniac New Member

State:
    arkansas
    I always take the pinchers off by taking the two claws and pinching them together pretty firm to hard and the crawfish will release them. Most of the time I will fish the crawfish whole but if I have some really big ones I break the tail off and just use that. I always leave the shell on because fishes mouths are sensitive and if they are taking in soft food and feel the hook they will spit it back out but if they are taking in hard food and feel the hook most of the time they think it is just part of the shell and will keep it in their mouth.

I catch my crawfish by using a crawfish rake. You can catch a lot more crawfish in a shorter amount of time with a rake .

4. The Catfish Stalker

State:
    Illinois
    Thanks for the help guys. Quick question, is it bad to leave the pinchers on? The reason I ask is, I was catching catfish (drum and bass, too) using the whole crawfish. However, if I am more likely to get hits using a pincherless crawfish, then I definately will.

5. whisker maniac

State:
    arkansas
    The only bad things about leaving the pinchers on is getting pinched yourself sometimes but, the main thing is they will fight in your bait container and will kill each other and it's best to have fresh live bait when able.

One other tip. Put you a green leafy branch from a sweet gum tree in your bukcet and your crawfish will stay alive longer and don't put in too much water just enough for them to wade around in.

6. doodlebug188

doodlebug188 New Member

State:
    ga.
    what do crawfish eat anyway?:smile2:

7. germanmudfish

germanmudfish New Member

State:
    Gray, GA

8. ATTICUS_BUDDY

ATTICUS_BUDDY New Member

State:
    mn originally now NC
    i take pinchers off but keep it live

9. scrappy

scrappy New Member

State:
    Iowa
    If the drum are taking the crawdads run a hook most of the way threw the dad and dip in a dip bait.Acts as a drum repellent and also can increase the channel cat catch on some of the days that they just dont seem that intrested in crawdads.

10. janzaldo

janzaldo New Member

State:
    South Gate, Cal
    Do you guys think shrimp is a good alternate for crawfish?

Jaime

11. whisker maniac

State:
    arkansas
    shrimp are good but around here that would be a costly bait. If you live close to the oceans where there is shrimp boats then you can get them cheap enough I say go for it.

12. The Catfish Stalker

State:
    Illinois
    Thanks for the help everyone, it's helped quite a bit. In fact, live shad and crawfish helped to end my scoreless streak.

13. el-de-saspamco

el-de-saspamco New Member

State:
    Saspamco,Texas
    Welcome to the B.O.C John and Dean,

As you can see there is a lot of good people here always willing to help and teach. The library here is full of usefull info too.

Enjoy,
    Rubes