Crawfish

Discussion in 'LOCAL TENNESSEE TALK' started by tncatfishing, Dec 14, 2005.

1. tncatfishing

tncatfishing New Member

State:
    clk. tn
    :) I was wondering if anyone in tn actualy goes out and catches crawfish?I have caught some in creeks as a kid, but if I go out and set out some traps would my odds be good on catching any? Does anyone here on the boc eat them, could you give suggestions on how to cook them

2. SilverCross

SilverCross New Member

State:
    Fairbury, Illin
    Howdy, I don't really know how to cook them, but when I was young I to use to catch them out of the creek also. Back then I use to pop the tails off and take them home and mom would just boil them and then they are like having fresh water lobster. Loved them. Now I understand you boil them whole like you do a lobster. I'll bet some of our Lousiana brothers can tell you the right way to do it. Good luck. Our creek here doesn't have them any more. Guess all the Chemicals the farmers use here must have killed them all off. Dick

3. willisjj

willisjj Guest

We eat crawdads all the time. I love em! I go down to Wal-Mart and buy some Zatarains "crab boil" to cook them with. Boil em alive for about 15 minutes or so or until they all turn red, then let them cool until they soak up all that juice and sink to the bottom of the pot. They are then ready to eat. Don't eat the ones with curled up tails as likely they were already dead when you cooked them. One more thing: when I get em home I put em all in an ice chest and salt them down real well and let them sit for a few hours. This will "purge" their bodies and intestines. I then rinse them off in the sink and throw them into the pot of boiling water.

We make our own traps out of 1/4" "hardware cloth". I make about it about 2' long with "ramps" on each end, leaving about an 1" to an 1 1/2" space between the top of the "ramp" and the top of the trap. The crawdads crawl up these ramps and fall inside and can't get out. A door is optional on the side. If you don't use a door you can just turn the trap upside down and shake them out. I put a door on the side of mine though and build a small box in the middle-bottom of the trap to put my bait in. I use everything from canned cat food to hot dogs in there. The bait box is good because it keeps the food away from the sides of the trap so the 'dads have to climb the ramps and get inside to get to the food. Otherwise the food will settle against the side or corner and some of the 'dads will just sit outside the trap and pick away at it. I will try to post some pictures of the trap in the next couple of days so you will have a better idea of what it looks like. You might look in the library section for similar plans. I can't remember who posted the plans I originally used but I took his trap and modified it to my own use. It was on the old boc site, but not sure if it made the transition. Anyway, any questions let me know. Hope this helps.

4. tncatfishing

tncatfishing New Member

State:
    clk. tn
    Also could someone give some tricks of the trade, as in what bait to use in the traps. Thanks. Also do you eat them like an ocean lobster, or are their parts you stay away from.?

5. catfishcentral

catfishcentral New Member

State:
    OK
    I always fill my traps up with fish leftovers, heads and guts. This will ring the dinner bell for them crawdads. I personally just eat the tails either boiled or deep fried. Yum Yum.

6. air4se

air4se New Member

State:
    Jackson TN
    I made a crawfish drag and go to the ditches beside the roads here around the end of Jan and all through Feb. Most of the time we get enough to fish with. At $10 per hundred I sure hate when the drum take em. If you would like a picture of how it is made let me know...

7. rcneman

rcneman New Member

State:
    TN
    hello...new to the boards..hello everyone :)

I've eaten dads quite a bit. Just moved here from Utah and there were a few lakes there that had quite a few of them. I always pinched their tails off at the lake and de-scaled/de-veined them. I put them directly on ice at this point. (In Utah it was illegal to transport ANYthing living from the lake).
    I think I will throw them in an ice chest and clean the tails at home, here.
    When i get home I take a frying pan put enough butter in it to make it aobut 1/4 inch deep, throw the tails in, add salt, garlic and a bit of pepper. Doesn't take long for them to cook. They are #1 favorite seafood/fish to eat..YUM! :D

cyas
    rc