Crawfish

Discussion in 'General Conversation' started by ka_c4_boom, May 8, 2007.

1. ka_c4_boom

ka_c4_boom New Member

State:
    Bedford,Ky
    iv been reading alot on here and thought id share a little from my experience , i have a crawfish i found on the bank of the ohio river back in january of this year it was black in color cold and barely moving so i brought it home and put it in my 55 gallon fish tank , theres 3 fish in there and they all seem to get along well together , since he has been in there he has shed out his skin 3 times and changed colors twice he is now greenish grey was red and before that black . this crawfish lives at the bottom of the tank he never comes to the surface crawfish are just that , fish . they dont require air to breathe they can do so as fish do . i feed him shrimp pellets and he seems to be fine with them . he has a big rock in the back corner to hide under i think he likes it , but i may get him a freind soon to see if they will mate , i have another tank i dont use that might become their knew home . id post a pic but my bro has my camera .

2. rebelzgrl76

rebelzgrl76 New Member

State:
    CO
    Now that is interesting. I dont think about keeping them as pets, just food. Id like to see pictures. Do you have a name for him/her yet?

3. kat in the hat

kat in the hat New Member

State:
    Missouri
    Never thought of mudbugs in an aquarium either. At the baitshop we always had wire mesh for them to crawl up on. Previosly, I thought it was for them to breath. So, they don't need air, but can breath it if they need to eh? Hmmm.

4. Ghost River

Ghost River New Member

State:
    Carolina
    I love a good crawfish broil. Plenty of garlic powder and red pepper. Man's thats the stuff.

5. Catgirl

Catgirl New Member

:lol: Chuck, I think it's a good thing Amy and Colt don't live anywhere near you. Sounds like your "pet" might come up missing if they did :big_smile:. That's pretty neat though, I never thought of keeping one either :smile2:.

6. buddah

buddah New Member

State:
    Pennsylvania Wi
    They are fun to watch. I used to keep some in my larger tanks to help clean the detritus from the bottom and on occasion I'd see em hunting minnies...fun.:lol:
    ya oughtta get a picture up soon.

7. Ghost River

Ghost River New Member

State:
    Carolina
    Hey waht y'all call bait, we call breakfast :tounge_out:

8. baitchunker

baitchunker New Member

State:
    alabama
    that is pretty kool. i took 40# of live ones up state to a wedding a few weeks back. b4 i purged them i was rushed by every child under 7 at the wedding. i handed each one a dixie cup with a crawfish. i also turned 4 loose in my momma's back yard garden pond. of course we ate the rest! mmmm-mmmm! but i have been getting calls and letters from kids and parents since then telling me how good they are all doing. the parents like them cause they arent too hard to keep up with. i dont know why the kids like em, but MOMMA says next time i'm up that way i had better get them out of the goldfish pond. lol! i luv those bugs! thats cool. c4

9. rebelzgrl76

rebelzgrl76 New Member

State:
    CO
    Tanya,
    Thanks for the laughs. That was funny. C'Mon Colt, lets invite Chuck over for dinner! :lol: :lol:

Crawfish at a wedding, now thats gotta be redneck!

10. slimepig

slimepig New Member

State:
    Kerrville Texas
    gotta love dem mudbugs LOL! Im gunna have ta do some research on em though, cause Im pretty sure they do have to come up for air sometime. course maybe the ones ive used for bait died from bein impaled on a hook rather than drowning.

11. ka_c4_boom

ka_c4_boom New Member

State:
    Bedford,Ky
    check it out if you like but crawfish dont have to surface infact they only do when forced to do so people raise them in shallow ponds for easier collections or harvests

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Crayfish

For the crustaceans commonly known as "sea crayfish", see spiny lobster.
    Crayfish

Crayfish, often referred to as crawfish or crawdad, are freshwater crustaceans resembling small lobsters, to which they are closely related. They breathe through( gills )