crawfish

Discussion in 'General Conversation' started by catfish1083, Dec 3, 2009.

what is a crawfish to you?

1. food

2. bait

3. both

4. neither

Multiple votes are allowed.
Results are only viewable after voting.
  1. catfish1083

catfish1083 New Member

State:
    georgia
    i was taking a brake from the boc and i was having dinner, as i was eating a big bowl of crawfish i was wondering what all my boc brothers thought of them little tasty critters???? food,bait,both, or neither:big_smile:

2. Dirtdobber

Dirtdobber Guest Staff Member

State:
    Vian Okla
    I have my traps out in the spring and summer. Big ones we eat the small one are bait. All the females with eggs are put back. I finally got my wife to try them and now she is the one that sends me crawdad fishing:smile2: Before she got hurt she would set for hours with a rod and reel and catch crawdads out of the creek. I would put a basket in the water and she would pull them up and drop them in. It was a blast to watch her. I am trying to find a new place I can drive to she can do it again.

3. CountryHart

CountryHart New Member

State:
    missouri
    I said both but actually they are bait. Anything big enuff to eat baits me, the small one's find a hook. I prefer crawdads over shrimp myself.

4. flatheadslayer

flatheadslayer New Member

State:
    Thomaston, Geor
    i said FOOD.them fish ain't eatin' my crawdads.ain't never had much luck on'm anyway.:big_smile:

5. CatRwalln

CatRwalln New Member

State:
    United States
    I voted both, but that is qualified, because I gotta be out of bait or just ate for them to be just bait.:tounge_out::smile2::smile2:

6. festus

festus New Member

I voted bait, but simply because I haven't tried them to eat. However, I'd be willing to if they were available. Up here there just ain't enough around to make a mess. The redeyes and smallmouth bass will sure tear them up. I got a 27" channel cat about a month ago on a live crawdad with its pincers cut off.

7. Catpaw

Catpaw Well-Known Member

State:
    Central Cail
    Name:
    James
    I said both , But i'd rather eat them then feed them to the kitty's:wink:

8. Dirtdobber

State:
    Vian Okla
    About the only time I use them for bait is in the spring for Flatheads and when the feeder creeks are flooding.

9. 223reload

223reload New Member

State:
    Oklahoma
    Both here,I do like Jim, keep the big ones to eat,fish with the small ones and turn any with eggs or fry back.

10. Swampfox.

Swampfox. New Member

State:
    Louisiana
    bait??.......down here you add some music, and a couple of cold ones you got yerself a party!

Attached Files:

11. festus

festus New Member

Mighty good looking food there, Matt.

12. plainsman

plainsman New Member Supporting Member

State:
    minnesota
    I said both, but I never had opportunity to eat any. Wouldn't mind tryin some

13. Swampfox.

Swampfox. New Member

State:
    Louisiana
    oooooh sooo good. its gettin to be that time of the year too. come on Mardi Gras! "Laissez les bons temps rouler".

14. Dirtdobber

State:
    Vian Okla
    Matt-- You have a lot more of them down there. It takes me a week or longer to catch enough for just my wife and me.:smile2: If I have a couple of cold one I eat them as I catch them:wink:

Last edited: Dec 3, 2009
  15. Tool958

Tool958 New Member

State:
    Illinois
    I love those mudbugs to eat. It's hard to get good ones around here. I saw something this spring that I had never seen before, bobbing for crawfish. It was the damndest thing I had ever seen. We were at a crawfish festival in southern Illinois, at a barbeque place. They had a contest to see how many you could move from one from one tub to the other, with your mouth, in 1 minute. The guys were coming out of those tubs with blood all over their faces from where the crawfish had gotten a hold of them. :crazy:That wasn't as bad as the fact, that when thay got done on each round, they would dump them back in the tub, blood and all for the next guy. I don't think I would have wanted to be the last guy.:smile2:

Last edited: Dec 3, 2009
  16. waynesburgjay

waynesburgjay New Member

State:
    Pennsylvan
    I like the ones you get in the store around here, there the bigger ones.
    Most we get around here are smaller sized used for fishing

17. catwhisper

catwhisper New Member

State:
    georgia
    back about 11 years ago when all four of our boys were teenagers i took them and a couple of their friends down to the creek where i was born and raised for the night. one of their friends was a girl about 14 yrs old from louisiana. they took my flashlight and started wading the creek. well she came back and asked if i had a bucket so i told her where it was. she took off. i heard them down the creek hollering and having fun. well i got the fire started and set back to enjoy the ol homeplace. when they got back they had over half a 5 gal bucket full of big ol black crawdads. then the boys wanted to know what she was gonna do with them. she got a ol dutch oven i had down there and washed it out a little and started to boil them on the fire i had going. about three pot fulls well the boys would not eat any so she cleaned everyone of them and me and her sit there and filled our bellies up on fresh dads with no seasons and i think they were the best i have ever ate. i thought to myself that girls is gonna make some man mighty happy:smile2:

18. Tool958

Tool958 New Member

State:
    Illinois
    Man, that there looks like some good times! I boiled some up last summer when one of my sons battle buddies, came to visit us. I don't think I've ever seen someone eat so many before. There wasn't a thing left of them when he got done with 'em.

19. Swampfox.

Swampfox. New Member

State:
    Louisiana
    heres a few more pics from last season.

Attached Files:

20. Swampfox.

Swampfox. New Member

State:
    Louisiana
    and then this fella. we called him boudruax

Attached Files: