Crawfish Traps

Discussion in 'Catfishing Baits' started by rednecksportsman511, Jun 7, 2007.

1. rednecksportsman511

rednecksportsman511 New Member

State:
    Birmingham, AL
    I've always wanted to use crawfish for bait. Trouble is, they're hard to come by around here. They're extremely difficult to find in my lake, the only hope of catching a good number of them is by trapping them. My question is: is it worth it to buy a trap or would it be a better deal to make my own? If y'all build your own, I'd greatly appreciate it if y'all could drop me some suggestions for building my own. Thanks.

Headed to the lake, y'all take it easy.

2. solomon

solomon New Member

State:
    MS
    I've got a couple from Memphis Net and Twine that work just fine.

3. r_p_narramore

r_p_narramore New Member

State:
    East KY
    They can usually be caught better in small creeks than lakes, but I've never had much luck with them.

4. JMarrs328

JMarrs328 New Member

State:
    York/Harrisburg, PA
  5. rednecksportsman511

rednecksportsman511 New Member

State:
    Birmingham, AL
    thanks yall. if i dont catch much with them, i can always eat 'em.

6. BAMA_CAT

BAMA_CAT New Member

State:
    Boaz,ALABAMA
    GO to wal-mart they have them CHEAP!!!!! good ones to!!!! They are down with the minnow traps

7. rudepossum

rudepossum Well-Known Member

State:
    Missouri
    They can usually be caught better in creeks.We go catch our craws at night. We only use soft shell and paper back craws. It gets pretty serious around here during the spawn. A big old soft shell crawdad around the rock piles during the spawn is a god chance to see if you're equipment can handle the big boy's.

8. large1

large1 New Member

State:
    Louisiana
    O.K. I am from Louisiana and take a little advice from a coona$$!lol try dipping them from a shallow roadside ditch.or slough.The telltale sign that they are there is muddy water.Best if there is no current.The crawfish traps typically catch crawfish that are a little larger than you would use for fish bait.Try a wire minnow trap.You can get them at wal mart or Academy.But if you still want to try a crafish trap or two call Champlin Net Co.@ 1-800-551-5183 or go to www.champlinnetco.com . Let me know if I can help any more.Hope this is useful.

9. AwShucks

AwShucks New Member

State:
    Guthrie, Oklaho
  10. SSgt Fishslayer

SSgt Fishslayer New Member

State:
    south carolina
    you may want to check you local DNR regs before you dop a trap somewhere it is not supposed to be. a good wire trap will work. i agree tha creeks and streams work better fo trapping them. be careful if you bait your traps, you might get turtles in there too. good luck