Crawfish Traps

Discussion in 'Catfishing Baits' started by Catmaster, Apr 30, 2006.

1. Catmaster

Catmaster New Member

State:
    SE Kansas
    I have seen these Crawfish traps in walmart for 5$ a piece and I was wondering if anone has used them. They are only like 1' by 1'. I thought it would be more economical to just buy one rather than spend hours trying to make one. I do want to know some different designs for Crawfish traps if anyone would like to share them with me.

Oh ya, does anyone here ever have problems with snakes getting in your traps and eating all your bait? That just eritates the heck out of me.

2. MRR

MRR New Member

State:
    Louisiana,Mo.
    haven't Had Them Eat My Bait, But Have Had Them Get In Fish Baskets And Try To Steal The Fish.. Dead Snake!

3. Whistler

Whistler Well-Known Member

State:
    TN
  4. treddinwater

treddinwater Active Member

State:
    Indianapolis, Indiana
    I got one of those crawdad traps as an Xmas gift this past year, but haven't tried it out yet. I've got an uncle that uses one and he swears by them.

5. taterpicker

taterpicker New Member

State:
    Batesville Arkansas
    The simpliest way i have found to catch crawdads is to get you some 3 liter sodapop plastic bottles. Remove the lid an cut the top off where it stops tapering . Turn the top you cut off over an put 2 or 3 bread ties in it to hold it back on and punch a few holes in the bottle so it will sink. Put in a few small gravel to hold it down. Add a little hamburger for bait. Crawdads go down the neck of the reversed top an cant find a way back out.
    I cut a three sided square in the side an tie it back with a bread tie for
    removing the crawdads. Tie a string to it for easy retrieval. If you eat bread an drink sodas the only cost is the string. Put out several because an occational coon will do a number on one sometimes.
    Works for me, Good luck in your trapping (taterpicker)

6. mdudes17

mdudes17 New Member

State:
    Chicago, Illinois
    great advice taterpicker. definately gonna give it a try

7. Bigdan99

Bigdan99 New Member

State:
    Illinois
    I have some lakes around my place where I know are homes for crawdads, but i also have a lot of turtles and snakes. Due they really bother the traps much.

8. rwbrown1

rwbrown1 New Member

State:
    Tulsa, OK
    Lots of ways to catch those crawdads.... Here's an interesting site that has a lot of info on catching them. This guy used to fish for them commercially and really knows what he's doing. I did buy one of the traps he sells and even though it was a bit pricy, it will probably outlast me. Even if you don't use his traps, the info is worth reading...

http://www.terrybullard.com/