Crawfish on trotlines

Discussion in 'Catfishing Baits' started by vetrock, May 12, 2008.

1. vetrock

vetrock New Member

State:
    ar
    I am thinking out loud here, but tell me if this makes sense.

We caught several cats on crawfish on a trotline last weekend, so I have bought some crawfish traps in order to be able to use them more often.

From what I have read on here, a lot of ya'll have had turtles rob your crawfish on a trotline. Would it make more sense to only bait with crawfish in the deeper parts of a river to try and avoid the turtle? Maybe use minnows or caught perch near the bank.

2. whisker maniac

whisker maniac New Member

State:
    arkansas
    That's not bad thinking. But the turtles will eat the perch near the bank also. But maybe not as much as the crawfish. I don't think you will get any real possitive feed cause it will just be all opinions or what one has experienced one time or another so for real facts I think you'll have to just do trial and error and keep a log book on your findings so you can refer to it later and not repeat any mistakes that you have experienced. Keepin a good and accurate log book is important it helps you learn from your mistakes and gives you a referral to situations that you have experienced so that you can repeat the good times as well.

Even if you get good suggestions from others and good ideas they need to be put in the book also and the results that you have experienced yourself if you tried their suggestions and ideas.

3. ho_shi

ho_shi New Member

State:
    Texas
    i have heard (tell me if i wrong) that turtles will rob bait from trotlines up to about 12 feet or so.... Deeper then that they dont seem to rob you as much

any truth to this ???

4. massa_jorge

massa_jorge New Member

State:
    TEXAS
    we have caught turtles at 40 feet deep, if they get the scent of food, they will go to it. i would just keep doing what you're doing and accept the turtles as a coincidence of catfishing.

5. ho_shi

ho_shi New Member

State:
    Texas
    dam the luck!!! they are rampant round here