Crawfish? how do you eat them?

Discussion in 'General Conversation' started by whiskerchaser, Aug 13, 2006.

1. whiskerchaser

whiskerchaser New Member

State:
    New Mexico
    Ok i went to a chinese food restaurant last night in amarillo and they were serving crawfish so i got some and all i ate was the meat in the tail is there any thing else you can eat off of them?

2. Scott Daw

Scott Daw New Member

State:
    Allentown, Pennsylvania
    you can eat the claw meat and I hear you can suck their heads. though when I used to make them I was content with tail & claw meat.

3. Buddrice

Buddrice New Member

State:
    Louisiana
    About all I ever eat is the tail.Most the time the claw meat does not come out easy...

4. ka_c4_boom

ka_c4_boom New Member

State:
    Bedford,Ky
    chew them up and spit out the shell like sunflower seeds lol just kiddin but you could , iv only ate the tails there good in a stir fry meal

5. whiskerchaser

whiskerchaser New Member

State:
    New Mexico
    ya thats all i was eating were the tails they taste like lobster. but it sure is a lot of work for that little piece of meat that they have in their tell they are tastey though how do you cook them?

6. jerseycat9

jerseycat9 New Member

State:
    Oakwood Georgia
    I am also interested in how to prepare crawdads

7. splitshot

splitshot New Member

State:
    Coxsakie,N.Y.
    Terry, we used to eat a lot of them when i was out in Kansas. We just rinsed them off real good in cold water, and boiled them till the shell turned red, just like lobster. I like em dipped in hot butter. There was a post on here about a month ago with a lot of good recipies for cooking crawdads. Im sorry i cant remember who made the post.

8. jerseycat9

jerseycat9 New Member

State:
    Oakwood Georgia
    Thanks for the reply Steve I have got to try some crawdads one day soon

9. flathead willie

flathead willie Well-Known Member

State:
    Virginia
    They are easy to prepare. Just put some Old Bay or Zaterains seasoning in some water and bring it to a boil. Dump in the Mud Bugs until they turn red. Don't over cook or they are harder to get out of the shell and it shrinks the meat. Break off the tail, suck out the head, eat the tail, gulp a beer, and repete!
    In New Orleans my friends do a Crawdad feast like this. Take taters, onions, carrots, artichokes, corn on the cob, sausage and Zaterains and put it in a large pot of boiling water. Cook until veggies are tender and then add a 40# bag of Crawdads and a hat full of hot peppers. When the bugs turn red, dump the whole thing out on a big tray,(they have a stainless table top pan on a stand up picnic table) grab a beer and dig in! No untensils allowed.
    We did 160# of crawdads like that one day. I'll dig out the pictures and post them here.

10. jerseycat9

jerseycat9 New Member

State:
    Oakwood Georgia
    Hey Steve sorry bout that carp recipe. My internet connection was down for a day and a half. Tried to PM ya but got no confirmation back

11. johnpotter777

johnpotter777 New Member

State:
    Oklahoma
    Crawfish at a chinese restraunt is like, Pizza at McD's, it just aint right if you want to truly experience the flavor, cook a mess of live ones, and once you do you will be ruined, or at least full, or in my case sick, I eat untill I explode on fresh crawfish, try it, you may even want to suck a head or two. Peace.:cool2:

12. borntocatfish

borntocatfish New Member

State:
    NW ohio
    I eat them the old fashion way though a cat hahahahaha

13. thomcat

thomcat New Member

State:
    pennsylvania 17745
    boil them in some cajun spices,,,, mmmmmmmmm tasty,, rip off the tail get that precious meat and then suck the heads,,,, mmmmm,mmmmmm good

14. whiskerchaser

whiskerchaser New Member

State:
    New Mexico
    How do u suck the head? lol that sounds kinda wrong and discusting but i guess u gotta try everything once or twice lol what does it taste like? it doesnt look to appetizing.

15. cat tamer

cat tamer New Member

State:
    MO
    Steve has it spot on, could not have it better said.

16. Arkansascatman777

Arkansascatman777 New Member

State:
    AR
    Crawdad Boil Per 100 to 150 Crawdads.

Fill pot wheel barrow or what ever your using with enough water to cover crawdads. Add a half a box of salt and let them soak for 10 to 15 minutes. Remove and rinse with fresh water at least twice. This will clean them out.

Fill cooking pot with water ( dont over fill leave room for crawdads ) add lemon slices - small whole onions and crab boil( on the crab boil I use bags + a little of the liquid) Bring contents to a boil then drop in the live crawdads this will kill your boil bring back to a rolling boil and cook for 3 minutes remove crawdads and drain. ( remember to inspect crawdads at this point any crawdads that do not have curled tails throw them away. If the tail is straight they may make you sick.) Now place cooked crawdads in the bottom of a big ice chest and coat with Tonys Chacheres creole seasoning. Then shut the lid tight each time you add another batch add more seasoning.
    If you are boiling new potatoes and corn to go with the crawdads. Bring the same mixture to a rolling boil then put in potatoes and corn this will kill the boil. bring back to a rolling boil put in potatoes and corn bring back to a rolling boil and cook for 15 minutes. Remove and drain dump into crawdad chest and season the same as crawdads.
    When the last batch is done leave in the ice chest for 15 minutes then dump ice chest onto a table and get after it.
    The live crawdads can be substituted with pre-cooked crawdads they are just as good and less trouble but cost more.

Crawfish Etoufee
    I made this at deer camp last year and everyone really liked it. Probably will have to make it again this year
    Ingredients

2 - 12 oz. packages of crawfish tails ( Peeled )
    1 - 1 lb. package of medium shrimp ( peeled )
    1 large can of rotel ( 26 OZ. )
    1 large can of crushed tomatoes 9 26 oz. )
    1 stick of butter
    2 large cans of mushroom soup
    2 medium sized onions ( Diced )
    Tonys chacheres original creole seasoning
    1 bell pepper ( Diced )
    Rice

In butter sautes diced onions, bell pepper and peeled shrimp until the onions are tender. Add crawfish tails and continue for another 3 to 5 minutes. Season with creole seasoning to taste. Add remaining ingredients season to taste and simmer. When done pour over rice and serve.

Hope you try them they are both really good

17. Pastor E

Pastor E New Member

State:
    Beebe AR
    If you never tryed cray fish you don`t know what you missing:lol: Flat head willie done told you right:big_smile: