crawfish help

Discussion in 'Catfishing Baits' started by doodlebug188, Jul 30, 2008.

1. doodlebug188

doodlebug188 New Member

State:
    ga.
    i live in se.ga whats the best time to hunt crawfish i heard when it was cooler that so?:embarassed: (ps.) what do crawfish eat?

2. whisker maniac

whisker maniac New Member

State:
    arkansas
    For the best crawfish the best time is early spring but if you can find some good places that hold them you can find them through the summer but just not in as great a quantity or usually not as big.

Crawfish eat freshwater plankton, algea, and other small micro sized animals, they will also eat rotting meat.

You can take some road kill and hack it up with a shovel and put it in a small water way or stream that holds them and attract them with it.

3. SWAMPRAT

SWAMPRAT New Member

State:
    south carolina
    i heard dog food works too

4. Plowboy411

Plowboy411 New Member

State:
    Georgia
    the best thing I have found is fish.
    I have some round minnow traps I bought at wal-mart and bait them with fish or fish heads.

5. mbandjb

mbandjb New Member

State:
    Central Va
    If crawfish are in the creek a minnow trap with some type of dead fish will get you some.
    But you have to check it often cuz snake will get in threr also..
    mikeb

6. Plowboy411

Plowboy411 New Member

State:
    Georgia
    the traps that I have I use as is,
    No modifications at all.do not buy the square traps from wal-mart,,they are junk,.
    fresh fish works best,I keep some small bream in the freezer just for cut bait and my bait traps.I hope this helps

7. crmule

crmule New Member

State:
    Orange City Florida
    I like to use a minnow trap and a can of cheeeeep cat food. Open it just a little bit and wire it into the trap so it will be up right .
    As for the snakes you catch ,skin them and cure them chop them up into bait ,then soak them in strawberry coolaid and garlic [them cats like italian ,must be the wiskers lol]and keep in the freezer til your next trip,good bait.
    ps don't put snake in a zip loc and leave in frig ,hosptial trip cost real money
    bewell
    MULE

8. baitchunker

baitchunker New Member

State:
    alabama
    the absolute best crawfish bait i have ever used was fried chicken skin. you know the crunchy parts.

those minnow traps work good, but you can build your own too. i think there is even a section about it in the library somewhere.