crawfish (crawdads) how do they rate?

Discussion in 'Catfishing Baits' started by deer74turkey, Apr 28, 2009.

1. deer74turkey

deer74turkey New Member

State:
    LaPorte, Indiana
    I have heard that catfish (channels) like crawfish (alive). What's your input? Has anyone ever used them?

2. lforet2002

lforet2002 Well-Known Member

State:
    Tennessee
    They make great bait for any of the species of catfish..I've had better luck with peeled craws though, not so much live..I think craws are better bait for largemouth and smallmouth bass but they do work on cats too..

3. brinley45cal

brinley45cal Active Member

State:
    kentucky
    In my opinion there the best bait for cats you can use.

4. catfisherman369

catfisherman369 Floyd

State:
    Nashville Il.
    I think craws are better bait for largemouth and smallmouth bass but they do work on cats

5. atvracer

atvracer Member

State:
    IN-47501
    I normally can get crawfish easily when seining. Been using them for years, especially on trotlines. They are excellent catfish bait if using the proper size. I have't had much luck using really big ones. I hook them at the bottom of the tail and exit the hook at the front of the tail so they walk around on the bottom of the water.

6. BIGCATFISH64

BIGCATFISH64 New Member

State:
    Muncie,Indiana
    They're great bait! the only problem with using them is that every other fish in the water seem to love them too! it's hard to go out and target only cats when using them.:eek:oooh:

7. BIGCATFISH64

BIGCATFISH64 New Member

State:
    Muncie,Indiana
    Oh! And I forgot welcome to the BOC Matt!!!!!!!!!!!!:0a23:

8. kyredneck

kyredneck New Member

State:
    Kentucky
    Excerpt from "Fishing For Catfish", by Keith Sutton:

"A study conducted in Georgia's Flint River......Researcher Steve Quinn examined stomach contents of flathead catfish from the river. He found flatheads less than 12 inches long fed primarily on invertebrates, mostly crawfish. Flatheads between 12 and 24 inches subsisted almost entirely on crayfish. In flatheads greater than 24 inches, the diet was 96 percent fish by weight, primarily gizzard shad, sunfish, suckers, and other catfish."

>30 years ago I used to catch lots of eater sized flats on craws on trotline below the dam at Booneborough on KY River.

9. Angler Ace

Angler Ace New Member

State:
    Pleasant Hill,
    I think they are the MOST under rated bait there is.