Crawfish, crawdads, crayfish, lake lobsters??? for bait

Discussion in 'All Catfishing' started by Howie Ketchdem, Oct 7, 2007.

1. Howie Ketchdem

Howie Ketchdem New Member

Has anybody used crawdads for catfish bait? ive only kept 2 catfish since i can remember and both of them had crayfish in there stomachs. i use crayfish in the same river for smallmouths and they work great i was just wondering if any body has used them for channel cats, ive even heard of them being in the stomachs of 30lb+flatheads!! im gonna make atrap tommorrow and put it int he river for some crawdads ill let you know how they work in comparison to cut bait. i was also thinking of trying to make my own stinkbait by grinding up crawdads and and some other ingreadients which if you have any suggestions of what other ingrediants it would be appreciated....thanks bros

2. fishnfwl

fishnfwl New Member

State:
    South Cent
    YES SIR! Love to use them usually gather a batch first of may around here and keep them in the tank, this year was not real good on getting a mess of them, no rain, but yes they work great on cats of all type, and as you know the smallies love them too! and hey at the end of the year you can always boil up the rest :wink:

3. PhillyCatcatcher4

PhillyCatcatcher4 New Member

State:
    S.W.Phila.,Penn.
    I have caught many channels with them. :wink:

4. yeppa

yeppa New Member

State:
    Topeka, Kansas
    Good bait, and good eatin'.

5. alands94

alands94 Active Member

State:
    Lebanon, I
    I've caught some nice cats on crayfish. The tails are awesome for eater cats. I believe there is an article in the library about how to make your own traps out of 2 liter soda bottles.

6. Ketch

Ketch New Member

State:
    Minnesota
    I've always had good luck with them on channels. Taken fish up to 15lbs on crawdads. Also, like they said, great eatin.:big_smile:

7. Prowler

Prowler New Member

State:
    Maryland
    I just want to inform you that you should NEVER attempt to use crawfish as bait while within the confines of the Great State of Louisiana.

Although it's been a few years since I have lived there, I believe there are Laws indicating that this type of action on the part of a fisherman is considered a FELONY, punishable by LIFE IMPRISONMENT!!!

:wink: P.S. Crawfish are not bait! They are the MAIN COURSE!!!! :smile2::smile2::smile2:

8. godsglad8tor

godsglad8tor New Member

State:
    Riverside, CA
    they are like candy to them cats:wink:

9. young fisher

young fisher New Member

State:
    Texas
    them crawdads is like candy but if do not kil them before you cast them out ..they will bury themselves and you will not be able to set them back in.

10. brinley45cal

brinley45cal Active Member

State:
    kentucky
    crawdads is one of the best baits you can use for cats ive caught channels and flatheads on them.