Crawfish Bait Tank???

Discussion in 'Catfishing Baits' started by BamaCats, Jul 15, 2006.

1. BamaCats

BamaCats Member

State:
    Alabama
    I was driving by the local college yesterday adn saw a small chest type freezer that one of the college kids was throwing out and it got me to thinking if maybe i could turn it into a bait tank for crawfish like everyone has turned old freezers into bait tanks for shads and gills. There are three little creeks around my house so i have plenty of places to trap them, and i got access to junk stores so i can get areators to keep the water fresh. i was just wondering if i whould keep the lid closed on them or keep it partilly open to allow some sunlight on them? Any advice would be helpful before i drop a whole lot of money in this.

2. SubnetZero

SubnetZero New Member

State:
    Sherman IL
    I've never kept them. It would be interesting to see how this turns out for ya, if you decide to do it.. I would think it wouldnt take much...

3. jaycat

jaycat New Member

State:
    Waterloo ,NY
    most tanks i see just have nets over then to keep them in and keep unwanted gests out. let me know how it works for you.

4. BamaCats

BamaCats Member

State:
    Alabama
    thanks for the input guys, what i had thought about was tilting the tank wo water would be on one side and outting a little sadn bar with wome grass and stuff on the other side so they could have a place to hide. when i get it set up i will put some pics up to let everyone see what it looks like.

5. bigmike

bigmike New Member

State:
    Kankakee,Illinois
    Seems that you have an idea of what you want no just go for it. I keep my tank in the garage out of the sun but keep a netting over mine to keep the unwanted crawlie thingies out. LOL. They seem to be more active in the colder water. Fresh water from the hose outside when I change it or I put ice cubes in it for them and they seem to be more active. Good uck and God bless

6. Redd

Redd New Member

State:
    Southeast Kansas
    I'd definately use it for a crawdad tank. Like the others said, keep a net over it, and in the shade. Fresh cold water and an aerator ain't gonna hurt either, to keep it from becoming stagnant. I'd probably clean out a lot of the food you throw in there for 'em too, if it gets hot it'll get to smellin' REAL bad. Good luck, bud.

-Red

7. BamaCats

BamaCats Member

State:
    Alabama
    i dont have a garage to put it in so i would have to build a shed a to put it in that is why i was thinking of keeping the lid over it. just keeping it propped up somehow or other,.

8. savage308

savage308 New Member

State:
    Victoria, Texas
    I don't think a freezer is going to work for you. They will not tolerate the heat at all....... You have to have adequate ventilation and 100% shade. When i was a kid my dad would take me seining (spelling) a pond for crawdads for trotlines and limblines. Dad had a piece of tin that he had bent at a machine shop. not sure of exact dimensions but it was approximately 5' x 5' and they bent the sides up approx. 7" - 8". Basically it looked like a huge pan. The crawfish couldn't crawl up the sides of the tin. He'd then line the bottom with Hay 2"-3" high and put approx. 1"-2" of water. Crawfish have to have a way to get above the water level or they will drown. He'd have a hundred or so crawfish in there and we'd have em in there for a week or so when we were fixin to run trotlines on a regular basis. We'd run out of crawfish and have to sein a pond again. If you need more info. let me know and i'll get more information from my dad.
    Hope this helps.

9. Keeyaawww dats a good Idea, Now ya see dem crawfish dey dont need alot of light, but I dont tink u should close da door on dem, but Someone suggested a net over dem , now dats a good idea, cause you see dem crawfish have a habit of climbin on each utter to get out da sides, you might have to watch out for dat....and dey dont need too much aereatin' just a little for dem to breath....my guesses....

10. Georgiajack

Georgiajack New Member

State:
    Georgia
    When I didn't have time to look for some, I once bought some from a local guy. He kept his in a container set up as BamaCats described, with good luck, he kept it in the shade because of the heat down here.

11. kyron4

kyron4 New Member

State:
    Indiana
    I have a book about live bait, it says to put wet newspaper in bottom of a styrofoam cooler, then a layer of craydads, then a layer of wet news paper and so on. Then place cooler in fridge. I do this and they last for a month or more. I think it makes them hibernate, as they appear asleep but become active as temp. increases. I tried a tank and they dirty water very fast even with a filter.