Crawfish at truman lake

Discussion in 'MISSOURI LAKES / RESERVOIRS TALK' started by dcmust, Jun 9, 2006.

1. dcmust

dcmust New Member

State:
    missouri
    I am heading to Truman next week for an 11 day trip. Last time I was there I saw crawfish under my boat every time I moved it of the bank. I bought a trap for them but was wondering what were some good baits and maybe any other tips that would help? Thanks in advance.

2. bluejay

bluejay Well-Known Member

State:
    Napoleon, Mo.
    Any kind of raw meat will work. We use to just use a flat piece of cloth with a wire ring around the outside. A string going from each corner up about three feet coming together and a stick attached. Kind of like a sling. Piece of meet tied in middle of cloth. Used to catch crab this way also. Just lift up the stick and catch crawdads on the cloth.:cool2:

3. safetybass

safetybass New Member

State:
    Missouri
    Bacon fat. Cooked bacon with grease. Heck just pour a little grease in your trap. Or, if you want to make it a challenge, hook a piece of half cooked bacon on your line and see if you can lift the crawdad out of the water into your hands before they let go. I used to entertain myself for hours! :crazy: :eek:oooh:

4. Bigmagic

Bigmagic New Member

State:
    Edwards Missouri
    Chicken livers work well also. I am a reformed crawdad junkie, I used to catch the critters and cookem with a little cajun seasoning. They make great bait but what a waste of a good crawdad. Bake em steam em or make some jumbo but vittles is where the crawdad belongs!

5. whisker_chaser

whisker_chaser New Member

State:
    Missouri
    I live in north MO and I have several crawdad ponds that I always have a trap in. I use anything like stinkbait or table scraps, corn. It all works. I was told that there were very few crawdads left in that area because of the otters.