Crawdads

Discussion in 'Fishing Bait Review' started by slowboat, Jul 18, 2007.

1. slowboat

slowboat New Member

State:
    Ohio
    I was standing in a creek trying to catch chubs for bait in about 1.5 ft of water when carwdads starting biting my toes. I tried to catch them but they were to quick. How do you catch them.
    hal

2. wolfman

wolfman Well-Known Member

State:
    Triadelphia, WV
    Name:
    Walter Flack
    Get a 5 gallon bucket with about a half gallon of water in it.
    Step into the creek bare footed and wait until 2 or 3 pinch your toes.
    Lift foot slowly out of the creek and over the bucket.
    Tap your foot on the side of the bucket until they fall inside it.

3. slowboat

slowboat New Member

State:
    Ohio
    wolfman: theres got to be another (better) way than using my toes for bait

4. Cheez

Cheez New Member

State:
    Trion,GA
    That there is funny and I don't care who you are. I got a good visual of the guy doing that.:haha::haha:

Cheez

5. droptine77

droptine77 New Member

State:
    Anderson, SC
    Get a small minnow basket and put a small piece of fish suspended in it and put it were you saw them. It will not take long.

6. Love Them Cats

Love Them Cats New Member

State:
    Vinita, Oklahoma
    My Daughter uses a small piece of night crawler on a hook and moves it up and down beside the rock, or whatever they are under to catch them?

Ken

7. CatfishHateMe

CatfishHateMe New Member

State:
    Il
    use two plastic cups, put one in front of the crawdad, and the other behind him, move the one in front o fhim slowly closer and closer, and guide him into the one behind him then put them in a 5gallon bucket with some water in it. thats how i catch em in a creek around my house.

8. Netmanjack

Netmanjack New Member

State:
    Ohio
    lol :smile2: just reach down and grab them. you have to be fast, they scoot backward so keep that in mind. lift up flat rocks and find them there too. If you are a sissy and are afraid to get pinched get a small bait net, but you still have to handle them to put one on the hook! :eek:oooh:lol
    And don't laugh at Walter, that just how he learned back in good old West Virginny.:wink:

9. peewee williams

peewee williams New Member

State:
    Pembroke,Georgia
    Whatcha Laughting at? I thought everybody catches them like this.Sounds like a experienced "Crawdader" to me.Heh,heh.That was a good one! I love you Brothers and Sisters.peewee

10. slowboat

slowboat New Member

State:
    Ohio
    Thanks guys
    I think I'll try plastic cups i'm not a sissy just old and slow.
    While were here, how do yow hook them.

11. catfishhunter17

catfishhunter17 New Member

State:
    indiana
    well they sell crawdad traps at walmart or justget an old minnow trap and make the mouth a little bigger and bait traps with a cheap can of cat food,or some chubs cut in half.There is a cheaper methods than that, just take two old tin cans like corn comes in poke a bunch of holes in them and tie them to two sticks and when they come bitting your tose put 1 in front 1 behind move 1 front closer to the back and you got him.Hope this helps.

thanks,
    JR

12. Netmanjack

Netmanjack New Member

State:
    Ohio
    All joking aside Hal, Take a wire coat hanger and an old potato or onion bag and make yourself a net. I did and it helps with the lose of speed that comes with old age. You will see quicker results than with the cups.:wink:

13. MetalMayhem

MetalMayhem New Member

State:
    Kansas
    To catch them, if you're quick, you can grab them by the back before they dash out. You can also place a net toward the deeper water, and start flipping rocks. It may depend on how the crawdad's act.
    To hook them, stick the hook through the crawdad's tail, just behind the body. That's what I do anyway. Just becareful it its shell is hard. And try not to hook through the main body, just the tail. They live longer.

14. south_va_fisherman

south_va_fisherman New Member

State:
    Muddy Cross, Virginia
  15. spoonfish

spoonfish New Member

State:
    Warsaw, Mo.
    LOL, works even better if you put some liver between your toes first....:0a18:

16. Cliffcat

Cliffcat New Member

State:
    Missouri
    I mostly use standard crawdad traps, but if you want to catch them as you see them, I use an empty coffee can. Cut out bottom and top of can. Place the can over the crawdad. Then just reach in a grab them. They will generally swim around in a circle following the contour of the can. It really does make it pretty easy. Of course raw bacon tied to a piece of string is good also.

Ralph

17. peewee williams

State:
    Pembroke,Georgia
    #1::That Crawfish will crawl in,under and around anything that it can reach to hide while on your hook.Clipping or breaking their legs and claws off is the only way to stop a live Crawfish from doing this.#2:: We keep our live Crawfish in layers of wet Spanish moss as Crawfish will eat each other.#3::Catching Crawfish with pipe. 1",1 1/4",& 1 1/2 inch sizes of the old BLACK plastic pipe that comes in rolls.Cut a minimum of 4" for the 1",5" for 1 1/4" and 6" for 1 1/2" inch pipes make good Crawfish homes.Put them in still water or crosswise to a current.Lay a weight on them and check the next day.I found that if I roughed up the inside with a new or clean 10 or 12 gauge shotgun wire bore brush,I caught more.Maybe it gives their legs traction? Now 6" to 12'' long pipe is even better.Lengths of old steel pipe is great.Anything new needs washing to get rid of oils or release agents.I learned this as a 10 year old when a truck load of pipe fittings overturned and scattered the fittings down a ditch.I cut the scrap plastic pipe for my kids when my Uncle replaced the black plastic pipe on a hog farm.The kids were raised with their own creek 40 yards from their back door.They just left them in all the time & checked them when they wanted Crawfish for bait or to eat.Now floods or swift water will cary them away if they are not anchored.I finely cut 1/4 inch hardware cloth a little larger and forced it in one end with a broom stick until it almost came out the other.Burn a hold near the other end,tie on a string and you don;t have to cover both ends when you lift it.Try one of anything like this,and if it works,make up a few.The inside cannot be white or shiny.Little Catfish will hide in them at times.I love you Brothers and Sisters.peewee

18. CatfishHateMe

CatfishHateMe New Member

State:
    Il
    definately gunna try that. i like that idea. how long will it take for them to find it so you kno about when to check them?

19. peewee williams

State:
    Pembroke,Georgia
    Answer is at or overnight.Caution!I have found my wire Crawfish and Minnow traps in trees,under cars and all over thanks to Coons.They have gnawed through ROPE to do this to me.Crawfish spend their whole life in and around cover and mainly feed at night.That is where to catch them.You can shake up a can of sardines or tuna real well in a quart jar with your river water and scatter it around a area to attract them as you ain;t baiting a trap.I like to use a fruit jar.Punch holes in one lid from the inside out and you can use it to sprinkle.A solid lid will fit under it and seal it as both will fit in one ring.punch your holes from the outside in,grind the points off smooth with the lid and the solid lid can be used as a top lid.Tie on a string and this makes a great chum pot on soft bottom or anywhere you won;t break it.A wide mouth jar works best for a chum pot.A PVC pot won;t break.I used to grind and then blend my fish scraps with fish oil or un chlorinated water in a commercial blender and use it like this.You can easily blend the fish in water and freeze it in zip lock bags.You just put the amount in the size bag you want and set them in a pan to freeze.Experiment with tap water with different levels of water in different size bags to you get your size down.You might start saving the "trash"fish you been throwing away.Kitchen blenders will work,but won;t handle large bones,fins and the skin of some fish.Grinding first works better in all.If you want ot get fancy,you can split the PVC pipe size of your choice to fit your pan.I love You Brothers and sisters.peewee

20. chuck7700

chuck7700 New Member

State:
    Coppell, TX.
    i use a sein. i takes to people to use it but i will certainly get those craw-dads and whatever else is in it.