Crawdads

Discussion in 'Catfishing Baits' started by ohio catfisherman, May 3, 2007.

1. ohio catfisherman

ohio catfisherman New Member

State:
    Ohio
    i got a place where i can hand catch probably 20 crawdads ive never used them as bait but i was wondering if anyone has used the before and if they are best fished on the bottom or on a bobber and also the best way to hook them i use 8/0 gama octopus circle hooks would that work good or should i use a plain j hook

2. baitchunker

baitchunker New Member

State:
    alabama
    i have fished with them several times. although i prefer to boil them in some spicy swamp fire with corn new potatoes and conecuh sausage. they have definitely produced for me during the spring and early summer. i have never used a circle hook on one but im sure it would be fine. i usually hook mine through one of the sections in the tail and fish them with a lite weight on a carolina rig. but, i have seen other ppl limb line them so i bet they would work on a bobber in the right conditions. the big thing i have learned is not to cast them hard or you might kill them.

3. savage308

savage308 New Member

State:
    Victoria, Texas
    My experience has been using them off the bottom. J hooks are the way to go. The way I hook them ALIVE is start at the tail and run the hook through the meat under the shell and come out right before the meat stops at the middle of the crawfish. This will not kill them and we've had great success with this method. Best of Luck to ya.

4. CJ21

CJ21 New Member

State:
    Montgomery, Alabama
    I hear that they is good bait, but I never try them.

5. baitchunker

baitchunker New Member

State:
    alabama
    noone else eats them huh?

6. jtrew

jtrew New Member

State:
    Little Rock, AR
    I eat them sometimes, but I don't think they're particularly better than shrimp, only taste a little different, and are much harder to peel than shrimp. So, being basically lazy, I generally eat shrimp.

7. Wooly

Wooly New Member

State:
    Illinois
    OK so how big are the crawdads your fishing with? I heard their good on a local lake for channels. The lake has 10 lb cats and I want some:lol: . So come on brothers give us the nitty-gritty.

Thanks,
    Wooly

8. CJ21

CJ21 New Member

State:
    Montgomery, Alabama
    Jonathon ya people do eat them, but I dont about around here.

9. baitchunker

baitchunker New Member

State:
    alabama
    cj

i only live 2.5 hours south of you and everybody eats them down here. weekend before last i took 40#s of live crawfish to a wedding in huntsville, there were ppl there from all over the country even michigan (lower canada) i think that 40 #s lasted about 10 min. after i finnished the last batch. by the time i was done cooking them there were only about a handful left for me. yall should try some!

j.d.
    p.s. good beer food too!

10. ohio catfisherman

ohio catfisherman New Member

State:
    Ohio
    thanks for the feedback the ones i catch are probably 3-4 inches

11. jtrew

jtrew New Member

State:
    Little Rock, AR
    What's the big deal with sucking the juice out of the heads? I gave that a try and wasn't impressed. The taste was pretty good, but nothing to get excited about, and there was so little of it that it just didn't seem worth the effort. :0a36: