crawdads

Discussion in 'Catfishing Baits' started by mike79, Jul 15, 2006.

1. mike79

mike79 New Member

State:
    west virginia
    i fish with crawfish every time i can,have really good luck with them,but i have a question is there a trap i can buy or make (prefer to build) ive just been flippen rocks and hand catching them the way i did as a kid,brings back memories but time consuming. any info would help
    later fishin buddies:0a22:

2. dcaruthers

dcaruthers New Member

State:
    Alabama
    PM Whistler on any trap needs. He has a great article in the library on Bream traps and mentions in the directions that there is enough material left to make a crawdad trap. I saw one at Wal Mart and they look really easy to duplicate. I can take a picture of it tonight and post it if you need me to.

3. LarryW

LarryW New Member

State:
    Abbeville Louisiana
    I cant wait for craw fish season to come back in. We eat those mud puppys down here and I am hungry

4. suddawg

suddawg New Member

I finally got to order a crawfish trap off of this site.
    http://www.terrybullard.com/CrawfishMain.html

Took awhile because you have to be put on a waiting list. Looks like quality construction (welded wire.) Less then $35 with shipping and handling.

SudDawg

5. TA2D

TA2D New Member

State:
    Nebraska
    Oh don't worry, I am currently working on a design that should work pretty well.

Aaron

TA2D

6. DittmeRhino

DittmeRhino New Member

State:
    Missouri
    A wire minnow trap works fine. You just need to enlarge the openings at each end. And put your bait (I use fish carcasses) inside another small wire cage in the middle of the bigger trap. Otherwise they will hang about on the outside and grab food as it floats around. Be careful not to make your opening larger than is allowed in your state.

7. laidbck111

laidbck111 New Member

ebay has been having crawdad traps pretty regular also

8. jerellman

jerellman New Member

State:
    CA
    Just use a pull line, loop the ends, put a hook on one and your hand in the other. Bait with hotdogs/whatever is stinky and wait for a little vibration in the line; you can get 50+ in an hour! You can also use R/R, sometimes you even catch the occasion Perch/Turtle.

P.S. Kinda off topic put if you hand catch crawdads, dont the ones with the big claws hurt if they pinch you?

9. jerellman

jerellman New Member

State:
    CA
    ^^Forgot to add this, for the wire you can use 1/4 inch Chicken Wire. and to hold it all together, use velcrow straps or broken rubber bands to tie it together. To hold the bait, put the bait you are going to use in a nylon stocking and tie it to the top of the trap. I think the opening cannot be more than 1 1/2 of an inch?? (SOMEONE PLEASE CORRECT ME IF I AM WRONG) Heres the Photo:

http://www.franksgreatoutdoors.com/productImages/98616.jpg

10. mike79

mike79 New Member

State:
    west virginia
    I DO CATCH THEM BY HAND ,BUT I JUST DONT PAY ATTENTION TO THE PAIN:lol: THANKS FOR ALL THE HELP FELLOW FISHERMEN AND WOMEN