Crawdads

Discussion in 'ALL OTHER FISH' started by tncatfishing, Apr 29, 2009.

1. tncatfishing

tncatfishing New Member

State:
    clk. tn
    This might not be the right area for this question, but here goes. When is a good time to start setting out traps for crawdads. I live in tn.

2. lforet2002

lforet2002 Well-Known Member

State:
    Tennessee
    Now..Spring is crawdad season..Be careful of which ones you keep cause I believe there are a few species of crawdads here in TN that are protected..

3. tnvol

tnvol New Member

State:
    Clarksvill
    Really? I didn't know that. I love to eat crawfish. It's been a long time since I've caught them myself though.

4. lforet2002

lforet2002 Well-Known Member

State:
    Tennessee
    I love to eat crawfish myself..Being a cajun from south Louisiana and all..Yes this is the best time to catch crawfish..The spring brings a lot of rain which fills up dried up ponds and ditches that crawfish favor..They usually burrow deep underground in the fall and through winter..Also by late summer there shells become extremely hard making them unpleasant to eat and hard to peel..Up here there are totally different species than the ones we have in Louisiana but they still pretty much follow the same patterns..Ever seen "mud chimneys" along the banks of a creek or ditch??Those are crawfish burrows..

5. tnvol

tnvol New Member

State:
    Clarksvill
    I frequently have to go down to Ft. Polk in Leesville La to work and I always get crawfish when I'm there and they are in season. I love that crawfish boil with the corn and potatos. That was my first duty station in the Army and I had a blast. Great hunting and fishing there!