Catfish Angler Forum at USCA banner
21 - 30 of 30 Posts
i dont hook them at all i take a rubberband set the hook on top the crawdad with the hook pointing up.Then wrap the rubberband around the crawdad and the shank of the hook and cast her out.be sure you take the pinchers of so you will be less likely to hang you up.
This way the crawdad lives longer and gives the crawdad a natural presentation,and hold on to your pole.
if u put the hook end between the eyes and let the shank run under its belly and tail with the band around it s back and shank , would nt that make it weedless, and keep it from geting under anything ?

Hey mike I use crawdads when I bass fish and I hook them two different ways. I hook throught the shell only from the front hook out at the top and hook from the rear out at the bottom. I always use a weedless hook because if they are fiesty enough they will try to hide under something.
Hope this helps.
One question for you. Where do you get them? Bait shop or catching them yourself? Thanks!!

x2

I peel them and thread them onto a hook.

That's what we do too. (use the soft ones) but why do you pull off the pinchers?? Does it work better without them??:confused2:
Without the pinchers it cant defend itself and is an easier meal for the fish. It'll take less time to play with your bait before it eats.

i dont hook them at all i take a rubberband set the hook on top the crawdad with the hook pointing up.Then wrap the rubberband around the crawdad and the shank of the hook and cast her out.be sure you take the pinchers of so you will be less likely to hang you up.
This way the crawdad lives longer and gives the crawdad a natural presentation,and hold on to your pole.
James said it all for me

Discussion starter · #28 ·
Hey mike I use crawdads when I bass fish and I hook them two different ways. I hook throught the shell only from the front hook out at the top and hook from the rear out at the bottom. I always use a weedless hook because if they are fiesty enough they will try to hide under something.
Hope this helps.
One question for you. Where do you get them? Bait shop or catching them yourself? Thanks!!
Thanks for all the input guys...... I use only wild crawdads that I catch in traps here in a local river near by. I use the 1/2" hardware cloth traps either round or square baited with the carcas of flayed fish. I use the smaller ones for bait and the bigger ones I eat. Our bigger ones get 5 to 6" long nose to tail. Love um. Not uncommon to have several dozen in a trap at a time. My record is 83 in one trap. I appreciate all the information. Thanks

I fish with crawdads all the time also. I hook them about mid ways in their tail. I have a question too. What is the trick to finding lots of soft craws? I find a few occasionally, but not often. They are by far 100 times better than hard craws. around here if you find them they are ethier relly dirty or clean with blue legs and blue under side. I have better success with the clen blueish ones.

21 - 30 of 30 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.