Crawdads - When using crawdads for bait, how do you hook them?

Discussion in 'Fishing Bait Review' started by Blue Duck, Nov 22, 2008.

1. Blue Duck

Blue Duck New Member

State:
    Idaho
    When using crawdads for bait, how do you hook them?

2. waynesburgjay

waynesburgjay New Member

State:
    Pennsylvan
    I usually hook my about half way up the tail from the underside and out the top. Works for me.:roll_eyes:

3. Blue Duck

Blue Duck New Member

State:
    Idaho
    Thanks for the reply. Ill give it a try.

4. Sunbird

Sunbird New Member

State:
    Sandy Run,
    Hey mike I use crawdads when I bass fish and I hook them two different ways. I hook throught the shell only from the front hook out at the top and hook from the rear out at the bottom. I always use a weedless hook because if they are fiesty enough they will try to hide under something.
    Hope this helps.
    One question for you. Where do you get them? Bait shop or catching them yourself? Thanks!!

5. fishnfwl

fishnfwl New Member

State:
    South Cent
    Some here, I also like to give the shell on the back a flick to just crack it, lets the "juice" seep out while crawling around, seem to help on a slower bite. Great bait for sure!

6. dhines

dhines New Member

State:
    LA / Calexico
    what about dead craws? should i just break off the tail and use it for bait? or should i hook it just like i would a live craw?

7. poisonpits

poisonpits Well-Known Member Supporting Member

State:
    arkansas
    Name:
    johnnie
    if fishing for small cats i some times peel the tail and use it but most times i run the hool from tail to head and then just step on it hard enough to crack it opeb.

8. Pastor E

Pastor E New Member

State:
    Beebe AR
    I hook mine from tail to head

9. fishnfwl

fishnfwl New Member

State:
    South Cent

Well from my fishing with them that is going to depend a lot on how long it has been dead, they get pretty "loose" after a while and you'll just toss it off anyway, but tail will also work, have had days when it seemed like all they wanted was the tail????? just never know

10. Blue Duck

Blue Duck New Member

State:
    Idaho
    Thanks for the info. Ill remember that one about the weedless hook, makes good sense..... Thanks guys.

11. readingcatfisher

readingcatfisher New Member

State:
    Berks coun
    I have never caught anything accept a smallie on a crawdad I guess the cats never got the chance the bass dive all over it when it hits the water

12. daystarchis

daystarchis New Member

State:
    Clovis Cali
    I do the same and I cut the claws off too. Fish em on bottom and I fish em with a bobber in spring.

13. catchaser19

catchaser19 New Member

State:
    UTAH
    i just run the hook through the end of the tail. So far no complaints.:cool2:

14. brinley45cal

brinley45cal Active Member

State:
    kentucky
    i dont hook them at all i take a rubberband set the hook on top the crawdad with the hook pointing up.Then wrap the rubberband around the crawdad and the shank of the hook and cast her out.be sure you take the pinchers of so you will be less likely to hang you up.
    This way the crawdad lives longer and gives the crawdad a natural presentation,and hold on to your pole.

15. rudepossum

rudepossum Well-Known Member

State:
    Missouri
    We use only soft shell crawdads during the spawn in and around rock piles. I keep them alive until I hook them. I run the hook from the back underside of the tail and bring it out of it's chest. It does not matter that it's dieing when I toss it in. What does matter is whether it is a soft shell or hard shell. Cat fish will hit a softy 90% more than a hard shell. I can just about always feel the cat peck it first and then nail it like there is no tomorrow. That's not to say it will not eat a hard shell, but they can't seem to pass up the softy's. I only use them during the spawn. I do pull the claws off first. This is just the way we use crawdads. Happy fishing from rudeopossum.

16. ozzy

ozzy New Member

State:
    Lost Wages
    With a Texas heart shot. :eek:oooh:

17. catdaddy007

catdaddy007 Member

State:
    SE Arkansas
    First I break off the pinchers (if they are big).Then I hook them right below the head on the under side all the way to the end of the tail. I had a catfish in an aquarium once.I would feed it crawdads and it would go for the tail every time. It would do grasshoppers the same way.

18. Cajun

Cajun New Member

State:
    Kolin, Louisiana
    I aint wastn no crawfish on no catfish I'll eat all I can get:confused2:

19. upncomincatfishking

upncomincatfishking New Member

State:
    Cheviot Ohio
    I was at the lake one night and a old fisherman was fishin next to me(paylake bankfishin). and we were talkin and I ran outta bait. he told me that certain times of year around when the carp were all over the top of the water goin into spawn. aroynd the new or full moon I can't really remember noq that you can find crawdads and your able to carefully peel they're shell off. I'm guessin cause they bout to shed they're shell or whatever they do. and they'll stay alive and they soft like jelly a lot softer than soft crawls. and the cats will tear em up. I was fishin on a bobber right off the bottom slowly trollin em and killin em. I was hookin em from underneath from the back of they're tail just up to the front of it but makin sure I didn't let it hit they're midsection. they stay alive a lot longer that way no matter wat. and I keep the claws on. to try to induce a fast hard bite so the fish don't get caught by the claws. anyway how many fish ever seen a crawdad with no claws.

20. Pip

Pip New Member

State:
    pa
    I generally hook them mid tail. Seems to work for me. I also generally drift when i'm using crawfish. Keeping just off the bottom.