Crawdads vs. Shrimp

Discussion in 'LOCAL ILLINOIS TALK' started by catfishplaya, Apr 14, 2006.

1. catfishplaya

catfishplaya New Member

State:
    Illinois (southern Illinois)
    can anyone tell me if there is a big difference with crawdads vs. shrimp when it comes to cats ?

2. tdpasser

tdpasser New Member

State:
    Gilbert AZ
    Shrimp would be scent driven only. Crawfish is scent and vibration if live. I would say shrimp might have more scent than Crawfish. Crawfish are a primary food for smaller flats.

3. astutzman

astutzman New Member

State:
    Collinsville, IL
    I've had more luck with crawdads than with shrimp. Shrimp haven't produced anything for me but light bites and small fish. I've had pretty good luck with channels on small to medium sized live crawdads with their pinchers cut off and hooked through the tail. Maybe bigger fish are attracted to a more natural bait.

4. TEAM CATTER

TEAM CATTER New Member

State:
    COLUMBIA,IL
    I never caugth anything over 20lb.on crawdad or shrimp. I like shrimp better THEN CRAWDAD.

5. Bigun

Bigun New Member

State:
    Burnet, TX
    Shrimp works better in the area that I fish. Crawdads work good at times up the river but in the lake you will never loose a bait. At times the blues will take shrimp and ignore worms. The more I know the less I understand.

6. jim

jim New Member

State:
    Jacksonville NC
    Well I'll tell you that my cat likes them both but I have to remove the pinchers from the crawdads.He also requires a bib when eating crawdads to keep the melted butter off his coat.In all honesty shrimp has always been overrated to me and it seems to draw small fish.I think most fishermen relate shrimp to scent ,to catfish.It is probably good for channels but why would a big Santee blue gorging on 10inch menhaden want a shrimp.Don't get me wrong and all you shrimp fanatics cease fire,I'm sure it works as do craw dads,but if you are fishing for large cats I think bigger more natural forage has a better chance.Besides I LOVE SHRIMP.;) :p :rolleyes: :cool: :)