crawdads seem to be waking up!

Discussion in 'LOCAL MISSOURI TALK' started by TheMadCatter, May 6, 2009.

1. TheMadCatter

TheMadCatter New Member

State:
    missouri
    went to one of my secret spots on the meramec and put in a trap last night with some stinky catfish heads as bait. ended up with about 3 dozen when i pulled it this morning. oh yeah! these little guys are one of my favorite baits, and now that they are getting more active it is really starting to feel like catfishing season is here. they look real good, nice color, and good size (about 3.5 inches on average).
    i have included a pictures of one of my home built traps in case anyone is curious, good luck and be safe out there. any questions? just ask.

Attached Files:

2. poisonpits

poisonpits Well-Known Member Supporting Member

State:
    arkansas
    Name:
    johnnie
    good pics and i like the mudbugs to.

3. AwShucks

AwShucks New Member

State:
    Guthrie, Oklaho
    crawdads were everywhere when I was a kid. Guess the pesticide has got most of them. Only ones I can find are for sale at 20.00 a dozen... thats almost two dollars each... to rich for my blood.

4. shawn 314

shawn 314 New Member

State:
    st. louis
    Those crawdads are they really good catfishing bait. i never heard anybody talk about using those

5. TheMadCatter

TheMadCatter New Member

State:
    missouri
    yes, they are really good bait. you can just use the tails, or my preference whole and live. i have real good luck fishing them with a standard bottom rig, or a large slip float set up that keeps them suspended. please understand most fish love crawdads so you get attention from a lot of fish besides catfish. i have found the best way to avoid a lot of the other fish is to fish with them at night.