crawdads for flats

Discussion in 'Flathead Catfish' started by slikk03, Jul 24, 2008.

1. slikk03

slikk03 New Member

State:
    illinois
    i got 15 crawdads are they good for flatheads, just wondering

2. kat king

kat king New Member

State:
    hutchinson,ks
    i have to say i am not very sure i really dont use them but my dad on the other hand ONLY uses crawdads thats all he will use and he catches some nice ones..hope this helps..good luck to ya..:wink:

3. Redneck1

Redneck1 Guest

Yeah, they're good for flatheads especially fished in rocky areas, but they are also good for bass, blue cats, channel cats, drum, you name it. It helps if they are really big crawdads.

4. CJ21

CJ21 New Member

State:
    Montgomery, Alabama
    I hear they are real good bait.

5. kyredneck

kyredneck New Member

State:
    Kentucky
    Excerpt from “Fishing For Catfish” by Keith Sutton

(findings from a study)

“Flatheads between 12 and 24 inches subsisted almost entirely on a diet of crayfish. In flatheads greater than 24 inches, the diet was 96 per cent fish by weight, primarily gizzard shad, sunfish, suckers and other catfish.”

Many years ago I trotlined alot 200-300 yards below Lock 10 on KY River; swift current with rocky bottom. Crawdads were one of the main baits I used and I caught plenty of 6 lb and under flatheads.

6. Plowboy411

Plowboy411 New Member

State:
    Georgia
    some of the best bait you can get IMO.
    we catch Flatheads up to 25 lbs with them on set lines.

7. scrappy

scrappy New Member

State:
    Iowa
    Maybe location has something to do with it but i have never caught a flathead on a crawdad.They are great for channel cats.Maybe the day will come when a flathead takes my crawdad but it hasnt happened yet.