Crawdads for catfish bait

Discussion in 'Catfishing Baits' started by Rivercat1, Dec 30, 2005.

1. Rivercat1

Rivercat1 New Member

State:
    Illinois
    I Planning on keep crawdads at home, but don't know much about what they eat or what kind of tank and filter I would need. Any info appreciated.

2. T-Bone

T-Bone New Member

State:
    South of Dallas
    A few years ago we put a few in the fish tank. They tend to lose their shell and get real soft. Never did figure out what to feed them. We put meal worms in there and I guess they ate them. They didn't do so well. died after a few months.

3. Dreadnaught

Dreadnaught New Member

State:
    Henderson,Ky
    Crawfish are carnivorous. A few pieces of fish once in a while (every other day) will sustain them for a good while. They will also eat small pieces of bacon, but this will tend to make the water murky.

4. Ravensmavsfan

Ravensmavsfan New Member

State:
    Cincinnati,OH
    Give them about 3" of water and change it whenever it gets cloudy. Or every other day.

They need no filters.

Feed them any kind of meat or fish fillets.

They should have a mix of a gravel and mud bottom.

Hope this helps.

5. jerellman

jerellman New Member

State:
    CA
    i once caught a big crawdad, maybe 5" long and left it in my color filled with creek water. after some time i forgot about it and left it unfed for half a year. when i finally noticed it again it was still alive!

6. AwShucks

AwShucks New Member

State:
    Guthrie, Oklaho
    Now I don't know why this post should have brought back memories, but it did. When I was small, I could find crawdads anywhere. Couldn't even make the high school baseball team once I discovered the creek behind the practice field had crawdads. But now I am older and know the value of crawdads to fishing, and I can't find a one. Can't find a mudhole to seine...can't afford to buy them at the bait store. So, guess I'll fish with my memories.

7. shortshank

shortshank New Member

State:
    Oregon
    Block type bait food for crawdads. I used the stuff to keep minnows alive until I learned about cat food. I bought mine from Memphis Net & Twine Co. (email memnet@mephisnet.net) One block would last 3-4wks. I never tried to keep them that long. Green, dark brown, bright shiney Orange here in Oregon. Just as big or bigger here than back in the midwest.
    Don

8. illnoize

illnoize New Member

State:
    illinois
    What do you bait the traps with to catch them?

9. kyron4

kyron4 New Member

State:
    Indiana
    I use chub heads, shad, or in a pinch sardines (in oil).