Crawdads for catfish bait?

Discussion in 'Catfishing Baits' started by Addicted2Cats, Mar 20, 2006.

1. Addicted2Cats

Addicted2Cats New Member

State:
    West Chester, Ohio
    Near my house is a small creek that is loaded with crawdads! I've read somewhere that that is a food of the catfish but do not know if it is worth using it for bait. Also I am clueless on how to hook them though I would imagin that a slip-sinker rig would work best. Any suggestions? Thanks.

2. james

james New Member

State:
    Blue Ridge texa
    ive used them never really done any good with them i just hooked them down there tail and out on a slip rig

3. Deltalover

Deltalover New Member

State:
    Tracy Calif
    Welcome to the B.O.C. Maxwell! I know that crawdads are an excelent bait for channel cats! I have seen them caught, but have never had any luck myself with them! I intend to try them again!
    !

4. dinkbuster1

dinkbuster1 New Member

State:
    Ohio
    i always done best when they are soft after they shed. if i choose to use hard ones i like to smash them a little and then put 'em on the hook.

5. RIP

RIP New Member

State:
    Somerville, Tennessee
    Max, Welcome to the best catfishing site on the net! I have used them for bait as a kid, we would sane small creeks for them. We did good with them from time to time,but it is not my bait of choice.

6. brinley45cal

brinley45cal Active Member

State:
    kentucky
    I think crawls are awsome cat bait,ive caught channels and flatheads on them.Heres a tip for you.Take a rubberband and wrap around the crawls body,then take your hook and slip it in between the the rubberband and the crawl.Your crawl will live longer and it will be able to move around and do its thing to attract those big ones.Good Luck.

7. old poot

old poot New Member

State:
    La.
    [Use small white ones whole,use large ones by breaking off the tail and thread tail on hook. hope it works for you-works good down here in south La.

8. RIP

RIP New Member

State:
    Somerville, Tennessee
    Looks like I'll have to give that a try, one thing I do remeber they would die quick.

9. 223reload

223reload New Member

State:
    Oklahoma
    Iused them alot back when i was a kid on my trotlines i just hooked them through the tail just above the tail flippers and if they were big i took off the claws they worked great for channelcats around rocky banks and points

10. photocat

photocat New Member

State:
    HOCO, Maryland
    they'll work just fine as catfish bait... There's a whole article in one of the catfishing books i own about a guy who will go out after a spring rain where the river floods the bank and use one of those floating bait wells and just go pick up 100's of crayfish and put them in there and use them for bait when fishing for flatties...

I've used them before w/ decent success but i always seem to catch ba$$ and perch with them and its harder for me to strictly target cats with them as bait...

The way i've always known to hook them is between the 3rd and 4th shell piece on the tail and i tend to fish them weightless or on a slip rig depending on the situation with cover around...

11. ersel

ersel New Member

State:
    Haughton Louisiana
    Man you got it all wrong yours supposed to boil the crawfish peel and eat! But the little ones make good bait also.

12. SeedTick

SeedTick New Member

State:
    Conway Arkansas
    I like to use crawdads for bait. You never know what you're going to catch though. I like the lighter colored ones about 1 1/2 inches long. I had one fishing buddy I had to keep an eye on, he would eat the bait.

ST

13. pendog66

pendog66 New Member

State:
    Brookville OH
    i am a big crawdad fan for fishing for smallmouth and fishing for channel cats. Yes soft shells are better but hard shell will do well also. And if you have a aquarium toss a couple of crawdad's in there with room temp water and they should shed their shell. Atleast mine did

14. nosnag

nosnag New Member

State:
    Florida
    Right now the channel cats are spawning in this area. You wo'nt find a one without a belly full of crawfish.Every one dressed out has their stomachs full of them.

BILL

15. crmule

crmule New Member

State:
    Orange City Florida
    Hey bill I anwsered your mail I hope I didit right If you got my reply drop me a note I will be in the wood for a few days but I will get back to you

16. Desperado

Desperado Active Member

State:
    Pataskala, Ohio
    Name:
    Clarence
    I use them for bait lots of time. I put them under a float when I'm fishing small rivers and float it by the debris piles and pick up nice cats and even pick up smallmouth bass. Good eat'in!!

17. Ravensmavsfan

Ravensmavsfan New Member

State:
    Cincinnati,OH
    They are a good channel cat bait, and if there eaiser to get then worms, cutbait, and livers then I would use them.

18. Drum Andersen

Drum Andersen New Member

State:
    Nebraska
    Ditch Criketts make good channel bait, ecspecially the smaller ones w/ soft shells.

19. Addicted2Cats

Addicted2Cats New Member

State:
    West Chester, Ohio
    Wow thanks guys, it feels good to know that Im going to have a steady supply of good bait this summer!

20. hunterman1971

hunterman1971 New Member

State:
    Ky
    I've used them they are a good bait some people just use the tails i've used then both ways on bottom and with a jug about 4 to 5 foot deep and had good luck.. channels love them have fun