Crawdads for cat bait

Discussion in 'All Catfishing' started by orion_xxvx, Mar 14, 2008.

1. orion_xxvx

orion_xxvx New Member

State:
    North Central Missouri
    We used to set bank poles when i was a kid with either the bluegill or crawdads we had seigned . Now all i catch on them are drum.

2. CATFISHERMAN001

CATFISHERMAN001 New Member

State:
    ALABAMA
    Crawfdad's make for real good bait for cats. If you can get some Mussels you are sure to tear them up

3. shania

shania New Member

State:
    San Leandro, Ca
    I have had success in get some nice size Channels when fishing with them under a slip bobber set-up.
    :wink:

4. catfishrollo

catfishrollo New Member

State:
    Ohio
    crawdads are a very indeginous bait for cats, and they eat them by the pound throughout the year, but I have had problems keeping them away from the smallmouths on my river. They are very abundant and like them as much as cats do.:big_smile:rollo

5. BigCatter54

BigCatter54 New Member

State:
    Oklahoma City
    I have found "in my experience" that all they catch is small catfish if any, and I have had like you said more drum and other crap fish on them than anything else, so I have quit using them all together.

6. whisker maniac

whisker maniac New Member

State:
    arkansas
    Crawfish are a natural food source for just about all fish. So when you fish with crawfish expect to catch just about anything that comes along. If your bottom fishin you will catch cats, drum, etc. Anything that runs the bottom.
    If your using a bobber and fishing certain depths it is possible to catch just about anything.

When my dad used to fish the Arkansas river every Spring crawfish was his first bait of choice and I would help him go rake up a bunch. Second he would try and net shad when he ran out of the crawfish we gathered.

The problem that you are having catching nothing but drum just might be location. You may have located a more ideal place where the drum like to be more than the cats. Thus if the population of drums is alot more than cats in that spot your gonna catch drums. But on the flip side, if it is legal where you are at, fillet the drum and slice meat into strips and put it back on your hook and cast it back out. Drums make good bait and they are also good to eat if ya fix them right.

Take the drum fillet them cut into 1" strips and boil the meat in shrimp boil. You will be surprised at how good it is.

Good Luck

7. janzaldo

janzaldo New Member

State:
    South Gate, Cal
    Good morning folkes, when using crawdads do you fish them live or dead? Do you cut off the pinchers?

Jaime

8. wishiwasfishin

wishiwasfishin New Member

State:
    kentucky
    i have caught one 40 pounder and a 27 pounder both off a live crawdad. i'll use them anyday.

9. whisker maniac

whisker maniac New Member

State:
    arkansas
    Some use them hole and some just use the tales Jaimee. It's just a matter of opinion and preference on the question. Try it both ways and see what works best for you is the best advice I can give you.

10. massa_jorge

massa_jorge New Member

State:
    TEXAS
    using just the tail on a jig is a good way to catch about anything. the problem i had with crawdads was that the turtles usually got to them before the fish. i prefer to use something like cut or live shad, and eat the crawdads myself.

11. carpetman

carpetman New Member

State:
    illinois
    In my area crawdads are great bait for the 2-5lb cats, I have yet to catch a real big fish on them, but I am still going to try

12. catfishrollo

catfishrollo New Member

State:
    Ohio
    let me say, in my earlier dumber days about cpr i would bring all my big cats home and put them in the bait tank for pic.s the next day, i have seen 20-30 pound flats puke up soo many baits from channelcats to a hand full of craws i know they are a part of their diet. esp. during the hot summer. However, i don't think you would be successfull targeting them using them specifically..i think baits that indigenous are baits to use, but small baits like the craws is like looking for a needle in a haystack, due to the size and lack of movement....rollo

13. Junior42

Junior42 New Member

State:
    Catlettsburg, KY
    I have never used em' as bait.

14. poisonpits

poisonpits Well-Known Member Supporting Member

State:
    arkansas
    Name:
    johnnie
    i cought all 3 species of cats on crawdads.i take the pinchers off and run the hook in from the tail dowm thru the stomach and then just step on it to let the head jucies flow better.

15. Cornhusker

Cornhusker New Member

State:
    Lancaster, Ohio
    Well here is what I think I know about crawdads and catfish.

First off it seems to make a difference if crawdads are native to the water you are fishing. If you don't see crawdads walking along the shore in a couple inches of water after dark you may not be where they are in significant supply and therefore are not one of the main cat foods.

I seem to have more luck with a live crawdad on the bottom. I have used just the tails when the crawdads got up yo 5 - 6 inches or so.

I also seem to have luck on shrimp in water with a good crawdad population.

16. rwilley3

rwilley3 New Member

State:
    Brighton, Tenne
    I have tried them a time or two and never done any good. I just don't think they give off enough smell to really attract them from any distance. I know they eat them because as someone said I have had them throw them up although based on what I have seen in that I should be fishing with mussels shells because most of the time they had been full of them. They may have been eating crawdads while scouping up these mussels for all I know.

17. neocats

neocats New Member

State:
    Steubenvil
    Isn't a crawdad just a freshwater shrimp. which is used by lots of people with good results.

18. rwilley3

rwilley3 New Member

State:
    Brighton, Tenne
    I don't know around here (specifically at UT Martin) they raise freshwater water shrimp which they call prawns and they certainly ain't no crawdad. :eek:oooh:You can google prawn and you will see they look just like shrimp.

19. neocats

neocats New Member

State:
    Steubenvil
    I guess I should have said similar. A crayfish is probably more like a tiny lobster, but still similar. I think. I am not a marine biologist though.

BTW, I have never caught a catfish with a crawdad and not many on shrimp. Probably because it is not my primary bait of choice.

20. orion_xxvx

orion_xxvx New Member

State:
    North Central Missouri
    I twist the claws off just cause they are easier to thread onto a hook then.