Crawdads for bait

Discussion in 'Catfishing Baits' started by Wooly, Feb 20, 2007.

1. Wooly

Wooly New Member

State:
    Illinois
    I was told that the channel cats at a local lake love crawdads. I've never tried them so how do you hook them? Do you hook them once threw the tail, thread them on the hook or what. It seems like I once heard of using a rubber band to help hold it on the hook.
    Also do you remove their pincher's? Thanks for any advice.

Wooly

2. F150Catfish

F150Catfish New Member

State:
    Wisconsin
    I put hook on top tail, you have to break off their pincers to keep them from grabbing objects on the bottom. but never catch on channel catfish. I caught 10pound freshwater drumfish on crawdads.

3. GMC FishHauler

GMC FishHauler New Member

State:
    Waco, Texas, Un
    the blues i caught this weekend had their bellys full of crawdads

4. savage308

savage308 New Member

State:
    Victoria, Texas
    Crawfish work great for blues or channels. You can take the pinchers off or leave them on it's just a matter of whether you want to get pinched or not. Use a J hook and get ready for some rod bending action.

Good Luck.

5. kyredneck

kyredneck New Member

State:
    Kentucky
    In Sutton's book, "Fishing For Catfish", it's brought out that the diet of flatheads between 12" and 24" is comprised almost entirely of crawdads.

6. dano40

dano40 New Member

State:
    Spirit lake, Iowa
    They work very well for channel catfish. Especially in late spring. Just hook them through the tail. If your fishing in alot of rocks you may want to break their legs off so they cannot crawl under the rocks of something else on the bottom. You can also crush their shell to help release scent into the water and leave a scent trail for the catfish

7. CJ21

CJ21 New Member

State:
    Montgomery, Alabama
    I hear that crawfish make a good bait.

8. Netmanjack

Netmanjack New Member

State:
    Ohio
    I saw an old fella fishing them in twenty foot of water in the Ohio river on a slip bobber about five feet down. He was tear'n up 5 to 6 pound shovel heads. :eek:oooh: We always get our best channel cat action using soft craws.:smile2: I like to squish mine with my foot after I hook them, just enough to get the juices running.

9. catdaddy007

catdaddy007 Member

State:
    SE Arkansas
    I use crawdads on my yoyo's and on my trotlines.I have caught channels,blues,and flatheads on them.I like to seine a bunch of them and freeze them.They're kinda hard to come by in early spring and thats when I catch a lot of big fish on them.

10. Ahquabi_Master

Ahquabi_Master New Member

State:
    WDM Iowa
    I've caught some decent channels with crawfish. They've worked especially well on trotlines, but If I take all my experiences with crawfish combined I'd say that they're hit or miss...so I always have more than just crawfish as bait (that goes for all other bait too). Give them a shot at least...

11. riverdawg-1

riverdawg-1 New Member

State:
    salem, va
    Ive never used them alot, but after last sat. i think i will. I caught 2 channels and 7 flatties and all were about to explode they were so full of crawdads.

12. bluehunter

bluehunter New Member

State:
    Los Angele
    I will be making a trip in a few weeks for some bruiser size channels and I know that there has been many 20 plus pound channels landed on crawdads at Casitas in Ca. They make a good bait in particularly during the spring time during the spawning period of cats. I like to fish them using flylinning(No weights) methods so that they have the ability to move around. This is in shallower waters up to 12 ft in lakes and reservoirs.