Crawdads for bait

Discussion in 'Catfishing Baits' started by slickback, Jul 26, 2006.

1. slickback

slickback New Member

State:
    Kansas
    What is the best way to keep crawdads alive for a few days? Cooler or bucket? submerged or above water? etc.. I have never used them for bait, but would like to give them a try. Any info would be appreciated. Thanks in advance!

2. jailcop2

jailcop2 New Member

State:
    iowa
    We use a cooler , set it up so they can swim or have somthing to crawl out and sit on . Use a pile of grass ,piece of wood for a perch for them to get on . I like to keep them in the dark and have put ice in the water to slow their systems down .
    Brian

3. borntocatfish

borntocatfish New Member

State:
    NW ohio
    keep putting fresh water in it

4. tomcat85

tomcat85 New Member

State:
    uh
    i have a bait tank on my side porch. it consists of a water filter and an aerator and it keeps them alive very well. if you want to see a picture or something let me know. its really really cheap to make.

5. slickback

slickback New Member

State:
    Kansas
    Thanks for the info everyone. Will have to give it a try now!

6. Ravensmavsfan

Ravensmavsfan New Member

State:
    Cincinnati,OH
    I kept a few in a 30 gallon aquarium alive for over a month, just give them a filter and change it every other week, or whenever it gets cloudy. Feed the pieces of dead fish, lettuce, carrots, or types of raw meat.

7. STEVECAT

STEVECAT New Member

State:
    Huron Oh
    I usually keep them in peetmoss and refrigerated,
    if they're soft craws theyll stay soft and alive longer.

8. BigCat4

BigCat4 New Member

State:
    Quincy,Ill
    if your goin to use them for bait kill them first because they will make a hole if u dont and if they make a hole how will you catch fish!?!?!?!?!?!??!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?