crawdads for bait!?!??!

Discussion in 'LOCAL OHIO TALK' started by brandonbtbt, Aug 13, 2009.

1. brandonbtbt

brandonbtbt New Member

State:
    Cambridge, OH
    so tonight my brother and i went fishing @ salt fork... my brother nabbed 2 channels on a hot dog and live gold fish... i foul hooked a dang leatherback.... anyways my brother was screwing around at the waters edge and found a crawdad.. i'm talking grandpa crawdad this this was so old and huge it had moss growing on it (seriously!) we weren't getting much action so i thought what the hell and put him on a hook... didn't have any runs so i wondered if they would be good bait?? crawdads HAVE to be natural food for flatheads and was just wondering if anyone else has used them before and had any luck.....

2. SGTREDNECK

SGTREDNECK New Member

State:
    Tennessee
    I have used them and caught channels and blues. But I wasn't fishing in a place where i catch many flats.

3. MUDCAT77

MUDCAT77 New Member

State:
    WV
    flatheads love soft shell crawdad on hot summer nights crawdads will pill there hard shell off that when you need to catch them catfish love them

4. bluejay

bluejay Well-Known Member

State:
    Napoleon, Mo.
    Welcome to the BOC Jonathan.

5. rrssmith

rrssmith New Member

State:
    Bakersfield
    heck yea crawdads work good for channels, here is the proof at Mendota2 gathering first pic is Pistolpete, second is Anthony(fullmoon) with a couple they caught on crawdads

Attached Files:

6. Catmanblues

Catmanblues New Member

State:
    S.E Ohio
    Crawdads are a pretty decent catfish bait. Most any fish with size likes them. Never really fished with them for anything other then channel cats an of course bass when I was a little fella.

7. hunted

hunted New Member

State:
    washington court house,oh
    soft craws are usually the best.

if ya get hard craws,pull their tails off and peel the shell off.usually that will get ya into some channels if they are around.

8. kyleco55

kyleco55 Well-Known Member

State:
    Central In
    yup i agree.. soft craws are definately towards the top of my list for channel cat bait...

9. Rollinunknown

Rollinunknown New Member Supporting Member

State:
    Missouri
    Man i like crawfish but no one in Missouri is willing to risk a 10k fine and shutting the doors down on there bait shop due to the Rusty Crawfish.....

I know a guy who lands very nice bass off crawfish its nuts but there to much at risk for those guys.:wink:

10. Slatebar

Slatebar New Member

State:
    ohio
    Wow, it is against the law for bait shops to sell soft craws in Mo.?? They are legal here but kind of pricy at $6.00 per dozen. great bait , especially fishing creeks and smaller rivers for bass. I have never tried them for Shovlehead. Pretty good "Human Food" too. :smile2:

Last edited: Aug 16, 2009
  11. preshrd3cpy

preshrd3cpy New Member

State:
    Calhoun,Tennessee
    My uncle used them for cats and caught blues nothing huge

12. rcbbracing

rcbbracing New Member

State:
    Ohio
    Ive never really had much luck using them...I catch crayfish all the time in my bream traps but never soft craws...when i do have them tho i never really do all that great...a few wee little channels. For as hard as they are for me to find im glad they dont work for me...lol...not many places around me seem to sell them either or not that ive noticed anyway...