Crawdads as catfish baits

Discussion in 'Catfishing Baits' started by bsites9, Jul 28, 2009.

1. bsites9

bsites9 New Member

State:
    Va
    hey, i just made my own crawdad traps...so...who uses live crawdads as catfish bait? and if so, how do you "present" it, and all that info...thanks a lot

2. xnmcclurex

xnmcclurex Active Member

State:
    Pittsburgh Pa
    i use a carolina rig and hook em through tail

3. Dirtdobber

Dirtdobber Guest Staff Member

State:
    Vian Okla
    I use them on jugs and hook them thru the tail. Used them two weeks ago got one flat head and eight bass. Turned the flat head lose and ate the bass.. Just kidding I turn them a back they were in the slot.

4. rrssmith

rrssmith New Member

State:
    Bakersfield
    Pistolpete and fullmoon were tearin' the channels up at mendota this last weekend using crawdad's .

5. brinley45cal

brinley45cal Active Member

State:
    kentucky
    heck yeah ill use crawdads anytime i can get them as long as there soft craws.if not ill squeeze the tail meat out and use that.Ill either hook them through the tail or another way i do it is i get a rubber band.Place the hook point up on top of he crawdad.Then take the rubberband and wrap it around the the crawdad and shank of the hook,and let her fly.this way the cray lives longer and gives a more natural action in the water,and the fish gets more of the hook.

6. Skunk_Ape

Skunk_Ape New Member

State:
    tenn.
    It's according to what size crawdad you have and the size of fish. I'd rather have the biggest crawdad I can get ahold of myself. If it's a big crawdad like some of the monsters that I ran off trying to attack my stringers of fish a couple of times this year 4" to 5", I'd use the rubberband method like Brinley says. That method will probably work on any size crawdad as long as you size the hook and rubber band correctly. I like shelled crawdads for panfish. The biggest redeye I ever caught and saw in my life I caught was on a shelled crawdad tail. A small crawdad is best hooked in the tail, IMHO. I love fishing crawdads in small creeks, no weight, 4 to 6 lb line, throw 'em upstream, then hold on, smallmouth, cats, big bluegill, spotted and largemouth, redeye, anything. A crawdad tail, unshelled is good bait. Heck, that's what I like about crawdads, you can cut 'em in two, fish em whole, shell 'em out, or eat 'em.

7. Swampfox.

Swampfox. New Member

State:
    Louisiana
    heck yeah, they work fine.

8. jmanion8

jmanion8 New Member

State:
    Kansas
    I've personally never had any luck with them, but I work at a bait shop and we go through them like crazy...we can't keep them for two days and they're gone!

9. festus

festus New Member

They work, and I never see them for sale around here. Kansas is blessed they're offered in bait shops.

10. catfisherman369

catfisherman369 Floyd

State:
    Nashville Il.
    i use a carolina rig and hook em through tail

11. Cliffcat

Cliffcat New Member

State:
    Missouri
    If used live, I catch more bass than I do cats. I do better with the cats if I crush the head first, so the juices leak out. I still hook them thru the tail. If anyone lives near Blue Springs, Missouri, you can catch a lot of 'dads' in "Lake Remembrance". It is on the north side of I-70 near the Adam's Dairy Parkway. The Lake has been stocked and was first open for fishing in July 2007. I'm not impressed with the lake as a good fishing spot yet. I've only caught blue gill, crappie, and largemouth bass. All were small ones. But, the crawdads are crawling all over the place and if you want some of them for bait, it's a good place to go.

Ralph

12. nick64055

nick64055 New Member

State:
    Independence MO
    Old thread but thanks forthe report. I'm going to check it out one of these warm day and see what I can find. Do you castnet in to get them? Or walk in with waders... what's the best method

13. SkipEye

SkipEye Well-Known Member

State:
    Winfield, MO
    Name:
    Darryl
    I used to use them quite often for BASS bait in San Diego, CA way back in my Navy Days.

Of course the hook was much smaller but we would hook them through the 'nose'. Through the pointy hard shell sticking out in front, hook facing up. They had more natural action that way as crawdads swim backwards. Just give em a tug every once in a while to get them out from underneath rocks or other things as they like to hide.