Crawdads as catfish bait

Discussion in 'Fishing Bait Review' started by HARVRAD2003, Mar 8, 2007.

1. HARVRAD2003

HARVRAD2003 New Member

State:
    ILLINOIS
    I was thinking about buying a small crawdad or crayfish trap, I was wondering if anyone has had much luck catching catfish with them. I know when I lived in Wichita Falls Tx. the once Winn Dixie used to sell live ones and alot of the river fisherman who put out throw lines used to buy them to set out there hooks.

2. pk_powell

pk_powell New Member

State:
    Missouri
    All I ever used here in Missouri were crawdads for bait,and yes I was sucessful as I also was with shrimp! I got older got married had kids and didn't get to fish like I wanted too but back then they were my go to bait. I would presume they would still be great bait!:big_smile:

3. 223reload

223reload New Member

State:
    Oklahoma
    Used to use them regularly when I was a teen, running a trotline, caught tons of cats too as well as some nice bass.

4. blackhorse83

blackhorse83 New Member

State:
    missouri
    They work really good behind a riffle on small creeks, channels love em.

5. poisonpits

poisonpits Well-Known Member Supporting Member

State:
    arkansas
    Name:
    johnnie
    here in arkansas where i fish there is so many bass and fresh water drum that you have trouble with crawdads catching other fish before the cats can find it.other than that they work great for all fish.

6. beakus

beakus New Member

State:
    derby kansas
    i've had good luck with them when the rivers are down wade fishing log piles and bends and deep pockets for the flathead.

7. buddah

buddah New Member

State:
    Pennsylvania Wi
    I believe that Crayfish are one of the best all around baits for catfish and bass and I use alot of them! I would say buy it. It'll do you fine!
    :cool2:

Just hook em through the tail. Sometimes I cut the claws off but you don't have too though.

8. Taliesin

Taliesin New Member

State:
    Missouri
    The only problem with using crawdads for bait is that they are too good.

If you are going for any specific species, it's not a good bait. It attracts too many types of fish.

If you are like me though... If it bites, I like catching it.

9. AwShucks

AwShucks New Member

State:
    Guthrie, Oklaho
    Sure wish I could find an old mud hole to seine for craw fish. Seems they are just like bass ponds - land owners won't give access permission. Gotta win the lottery so I can buy my own lake and mud hole. BUT, I would let people fish in it.

10. Flamekeeper

Flamekeeper New Member

State:
    Louisville, Ken
    They are great, My son and I went fishing and stopped by a bait house for a few things and decided to buy a couple dozen Crawdads. after getting to the lake set up ,catching bluegills ( for bait)and started fishing with everything else we had,No Luck at all.
    My son went to the truck and got them crayfish and I thought he was joking:lol: it was funny looking.But I kid you not Bro, He was fishing about 9',He tore the heads off of'em,put the tails in a cup and stuck the hook thru the back using only/dangling claws,head/body and guts he lobbed it out and the wind would blow it back in toward the bank until it stopped and as soon as it did it wasn't there long BAM!,3-4#cat every time.

I wasn't going to get shut out so I took the tails and left the shell on stuck the hook thru and done the same thing and started catching fish . I think we ended up with around 18 fish:cool2: It was the best time I ever had fishing with crayfish. I see people all the time with them and say give them a try.

Live hooked thru the tail.
    Tail pulled off with shell on or off
    and even the bodies with all the gutts and leggs you will catch fish if the fish are there.
    Good Luck. Kenny